ponds!!!!!

Zayne

Well...i have 2 small ponds

1. Plastic/Fibreglass mold put into the ground. Costed me only $40 but its actully priced at like $130 i think.

= $90-100 all up (including plants and all)

2. I made my own Deck pond (Which i love to death! :lol: ). I made a box frame out of timber (make sure its not rotting and is strong) in the yard (or you can buy cheap), made the sides out of treated plywood from Mitre10 mega (only costed like $23) for all 5 sides. Nailed it all together brought liner, put it in, filled it up, added plants (lillies mostly), baby goldfish.

And bobs your uncle. The fish were small comets only about 2cm most of them are now 5cm long and i had babies goldfish aswell last year :bounce:

= about...$45-60 all up i think, not to sure. And its 2 years old now and still sturdy.

Oh and if your having a small pond... make sure your stock lightly at first! defiantely do not overstock.

I also recently made another deck pond too.

I have no filter in either pond (planning to get one) but the fish have been fine for the last 3 years (they had babies so...lol)

Or farm supply places for the stuff they line dams. Stock troughs can be good too.

:hail: will keep that in mind for the future, thanks Caryl. I think i remember someone mentioned on here a while back they used the plastic often used to cover sileage (sp?), its white on one side and black on the other....the dam liner sounds like the go though

• 1 month later...

I have a winebarrel lined with plastic, that makes a great starter pond. I think it's better than plastic for an aboveground pool as the wood insulates against it getting too hot or cold. I have one goldfish in it, whenever I try to put friends in for him he kills and eats them (even if they are bigger than him :o ), so I have come to the conclusion that "Hannibal" is a sociopath. A mini waterlily, an iris and lots of other waterplants such as lysimachia and oxyweed.

Bathtubs!!!!!!!!!!!!!! perfect size, generally watertight and cheeper than chips (i picked mine up for $1 each on trademe) and you dont need to dig a hole if you want.

all you need to do is buy a plug and silicone it in if you want. my two bath ponds dont even have plugs and are blocked by dirt and grass growing up through the drain hole.

I wouldn't want to pay for new, I want used and cheap.:) And also that site is completely useless, no prices at all. Though, I'm sure they're all more than ... let me check how much I want to pay...Ummm...About $3.50.

Most farmers have a few unused ones lying around that may just need a patch up they'd prolly give you for cheep as. I have several but you're a bit far away :wink: