I saved a hedgehog

lmsmith

Went out and in the filter of my pool was a big, fat hedgehog. The pool was lower than usual; if it was full, he would have drowned because he wouldn't have been able to stand up anyway. I coaxed him out, picked him up in a towel and dried off his tummy. He was nearly 15cm long, and about 10cm wide; a very very big boy. I sat him near the bushes (far from the pool) in the towel, and went inside to get a box to put him in so I could keep him warm for a night or 2 then release him, but when I came back out, he had scuttled off into the bushes.

I'm very happy that I managed to save him, and have installed a ramp in the pool so they can get out if any fall in!

Aw cute!

They are actually environmental pests here, same as possums, stoats, rats etc, eating threatened invertebrates, birds/chicks/eggs in the nest (we have many ground-laying birds).

Personally I would have saved it too.... then felt guilty at letting a pest go....

I know they're a pest, but I couldn't in good conscience let the poor thing die - especially not in the pool!

I know the reality is the hedgehog will probably go out there and eat some bird eggs, but I feel much better about indirectly being responsible for an animal's death than I do being directly responsible. :cry:

I have saved may hedgehogs from bad situations (meaning everytime someone i know finds one i get it) but they never seem to live. How should they be cared for? Granted, most were either exhausted from swimming all night in a pond or out during the day which im told means that they are already sick.