Aquarium Bubblers

si_sphinx

Im on the hunt for an aquarium bubbler that produces fine bubbles in a freshwater tank.

Ive got normal air stones that have huge bubbles.

Ive tried what is called a professional aquarium mist air stone that turned out to be the same as a normal air stone.

And ive tried flexiable bubble walls that give off smaller bubbles but still leak big bubbles out of weak points.

Im wanting a super fine bubble mist in my tank. like you would sometimes see in a marine aquarium.

it is the salt water that makes the bubbles in a marine setup so fine but i obviously cant add that much salt to my tanks

Is there any bubblers that produce the super fine mist im after and where can i get one from???

Ceramic airstones?

Back in the day (like 7 years ago) we used to get wooden air stones that cost the earth.

they were used in marine tanks and the bubbles were really really tiny. looked like mist.

Im not sure if they can be used in freshwater though. But i do know that i had to replace them in my marine tank every 12 months or so.

Back in the day (like 7 years ago) we used to get wooden air stones that cost the earth.

they were used in marine tanks and the bubbles were really really tiny. looked like mist.

Im not sure if they can be used in freshwater though. But i do know that i had to replace them in my marine tank every 12 months or so.

Yea ive herd of the wooden ones too and also heard that they get a fungus type thing that grows on it in fresh water.

You could use a porous fritt. I have a couple now that I use to diffuse CO2 but the bubbles are so small they are invisible - however I used to have one with lager bubbles that I could just see. The bubbling suface wasn't teribbly large though...approx the size of a 50 cent piece. I get them from my partner who is a chemist at the Uni. :roll:

Oh poo, I wish I could send you one... I have been wanting to get another one but they have to be made by the glassblower... I have been stalling since I didn't want to pay to order the frit disc but I can look into it tomorrow. Works a treat! :D

i get the effect your looking fro from my powerhead i have in my F/W tank. I use it to push the benthos around abit more to give the caqnister a better chance of picking it up, but the buble from my bubble wall somehow get into it every once and awhile and it blows a mass of super-fine bubbles around the tank.

does it really? like a mist?

It is more a fine wall of slowley rising bubbles but if you crank it up and have a power head at the top to puch them back down the stay floating in the tank for a long time. We got one and now we have another one in the display tank too

If you put a low flow air pump on it you will but if you put a huge pump on it you get mist

Ive just brought one...

...and it does the exact same thing as the airline with pin holes in it,

And the bubbles are bigger than one of the bigger air stones i have so another dead end for what im after.