Some people should just not keep fish...

Morcs

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pets-animals/Fish/Fish/auction-245058163.htm

He has an oscar. Obviously doesnt know what its called, or doesnt know anything about it - thinks its from Africa - and suggesting it requires african water conditions...

Now guppies, neons and thos types of fish you can get away with to an extent knowing bugger all about them, but an Oscar! *pulls hair out*

and then theres the guy looking to buy it, asking if it can be kept in cold water! No doubt in a 20L tank...

*shakes head*

*sigh*

• 2 weeks later...

I think the place where it was bought has to shoulder some of the blame here too though, don't you guys ? After all, if a fish info card was visible for fish on offer in a LFS then people might learn about their fish and buy smarter in the first place. He can't take all the blame here.

I think the place where it was bought has to shoulder some of the blame here too though, don't you guys ? After all, if a fish info card was visible for fish on offer in a LFS then people might learn about their fish and buy smarter in the first place. He can't take all the blame here.

That is true, however, despite the best intentions of a fish shop - who probably wouldve said yep that Oscar needs a min 4ft tank, the customer can quite easily say he has a 4ft, but knows damn well he has a 2ft and 'oh it will fit, its tiny' :)

That is true, however, despite the best intentions of a fish shop - who probably wouldve said yep that Oscar needs a min 4ft tank, the customer can quite easily say he has a 4ft, but knows damn well he has a 2ft and 'oh it will fit, its tiny' :)

Thats just speculation though isn't it ? both that the LFS might have advised the buyer, and that he would have lied. It does not change the fact that if the LFS's had a display card for each type of fish with relevant info, it would be a useful service to customers, of potential benefit to the welfare of the fish they sell, and would also cover their butts in scenarios such as this one, where they might be considered in part to blame.

How do you know there wasn't a fish card, which the buyer ignored? :-?

that's so true! there are so many people out there that buy fish for their colour and appearance but don't know a thing about them...I get mad when I see Discus in horrible conditions on sale on TM..the owner obviously have no idea/not care

How do you know there wasn't a fish card, which the buyer ignored? :-?

I don't and never claimed that it was definitely the case. Having visited every LFS in Christchurch though, and not seen one that displays them, I think its reasonable to assume its likely that plenty others dont.