diy co2 mix?

Vinnie

Ok I got it all sorted, the silicone is pretty bad at sticking the line to the bottle. Next time I will be making the hole smaller.

Here is how I did it:

1. Build co2 bottle using yeast / sugar / warm water using 1.25L bottle.

2. Run air line from the bottle to the intake for my 200lph power head.

And that was it - The impeller in the power head (which is also hooked up to the UV Lamp) does a fair job of mixing the CO2. It seems to have been bubbling out at a very constant rate since 12pm this morning.

I'm very pleased with this setup - seems to be doing the same job as that $90 CO2 reactor kit sold in stores - and it only cost me $5 to make. The air line was the most expensive component.

Also - should I. Be turning off the CO2 at nights after lightsout?

I run tube from the yeast mix bottle to a smaller 300ml bottle then another tube from that bottle to the powerhead. This acts as a fail safe setup in case the yeast mix over reacts etc so that the yeast mix doesn't get sucked into the tank.

I also add 1/4 tsp of baking soda to the mix as i am on rain water and I use the active yeast mixture for bread making

I got mine running today. I used a 2.25 L coke bottle which pipes into a 1.5L coke bottle, I'm currently using an air stone to diffuse, but I may buy a proper diffuser if it works.

The mix I used is 2 teaspoons of bakers yeast, 2.5 cups of raw sugar, and half a teaspoon of Marmite. I left the cap off for about 15 mins, and then screwed all the caps on, and waited. Now my air stone is pumping out bubbles like no bodies business, so I may have to adjust my yeast mixtures down to 1 teaspoon and see how that goes.

I got mine running today. I used a 2.25 L coke bottle which pipes into a 1.5L coke bottle, I'm currently using an air stone to diffuse, but I may buy a proper diffuser if it works

1. It does work, perfectly :D

2. Airstones are useless at defusing, most of the CO2 will simply bubble up to the top and be released (This is what just about every DIY CO2 site I've read says)

Also - do you guys who have been using DIY CO2 turn it off at night? My aquarium is only 38L and I'm worried that this CO2 might be overkill.

Also - do you guys who have been using DIY CO2 turn it off at night? My aquarium is only 38L and I'm worried that this CO2 might be overkill.

Got one on my 27L running a 3L juice bottle at about 1 bubble every two second, no diffusion needed. Leave it on 24/7

1. It does work, perfectly :D

2. Airstones are useless at defusing, most of the CO2 will simply bubble up to the top and be released (This is what just about every DIY CO2 site I've read says)

the air stone is crap, but diffusers are expensive.

If the bubbles are making it to the surface then barely any of your CO2 is being dissolved into the water and thus is not accessible to the plants.

You don't need a diffuser. Stick the end of your tubing into the filter intake. By the time the bubbles go through the filter into the outtake they will be absorbed...as several people already mentioned.

Diffusers are $20 on Trademe

the air stone is crud, but diffusers are expensive.

Yup. You can snip a little section out of one of the little plastic guards at the bottom of the intake and just stick the tip of the tube in that. The bubbles travel through the intake and then get hit by the impeller which will help diffuse them. The sponge also help diffuse any of the left over ones before the water flows back into the tank :)

I have a hang on back filter, can i still jam it up the intake?

anyone is keen to see what i have done..

Yep - lets see it!

Here's mine (You can see the tube go into the intake for the UV filter on the top right hand corner of the image). Tank is an Aqua One AR380 (~34L with standard 400 LPH trickle filter). Certainly more discrete than the ridiculously huge bubble counter that comes with the Nutrafin kitset. Some VERY minor bubbles come out of the filter outlet - so I'm guessing the rest of it has dissolved in the water successfully.

t0pgusrs.jpg

I decided to use the UV filter + powerhead to distribute the CO2 instead of using the built in trickle filter because I was unsure how having the water pumped up into the spray bar, down through activated carbon, through a sponge, and then through the ceramic noodles and finally back into the tank would affect the efficiency of the CO² mixing into the water.

I just wanted to share this article.

Its pretty comprehensive and well written and it explains exactly why to do a step :)

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/sh ... p?t=152401

Great article. It was interesting to see that too much sugar is not only a waste of money but it also impeeds the yeast's ability to produce CO2. :hail:

Here's mine (You can see the tube go into the intake for the UV filter on the top right hand corner of the image). Tank is an Aqua One AR380 (~34L with standard 400 LPH trickle filter). Certainly more discrete than the ridiculously huge bubble counter that comes with the Nutrafin kitset. Some VERY minor bubbles come out of the filter outlet - so I'm guessing the rest of it has dissolved in the water successfully.

t0pgusrs.jpg

I decided to use the UV filter + powerhead to distribute the CO2 instead of using the built in trickle filter because I was unsure how having the water pumped up into the spray bar, down through activated carbon, through a sponge, and then through the ceramic noodles and finally back into the tank would affect the efficiency of the CO² mixing into the water.

Nice set up! :wink:

Multiple Tank Syndrome?

I have a 60x30x30 setup in the garage, which is really more of a home bar/man cave, as I have carpet heaters, pool table etc, the 60x30 is plants only at this stage, Was contemplating a goldie in there though. I have the 620t in the house, and now have some real estate on my desk, suitable for the 380 :D