More filtration is better but when is it overkill?

Jennifer

Five weeks ago I purchased a Fluval 205 for my 90L tank. It improved the water conditions so much I thought I had died and gone to heaven! Then I was promptly gifted a new 170L tank. I swapped the Fluval over to the 170L and it worked fine (water chemistry was consistently good) but I noticed a little cloudiness and the water wasn't moving as much as I would like - so this last week I decided to up the filtration by adding the large powerhead that came with the new tank (it is running over sponges and wool whereas the canister has Eheim pro media, large noodles, small noodles and sponges). The difference is amazing in terms of water clarity and the fish are much more active and colourful. The problem is, I don't like the large powerhead in the tank and I really want more filtration to keep the water in top shape so I am thinking of upgrading to a larger filter. With the 205 I am getting a water turnover of around 600l/hr and with the powerhead it must be more, but likely not as much as double that. I note that the fluval 405 is around 1300l/hr so that is a consideration. What about an FX5? Is that overkill for this tank?

Tank specs:

84 W x 58 H x 44 D cm

Stock:

3 x small striata loaches

2 x small GBNs

15 cardinal tetras

6 dwarf neon rainbows

(would like to add 6 hatchets and/or a pair of boesmanis once I get filtration sorted)

Loads of plants and a big log of wood.

an fx5 would be overkill, but a 405 would not.

I have 2 405's on my 200L 4ft tank. works amazingly.

Two?? Well I would like to have a lot of filtration so I suppose I could add a 405 to the tank while keeping the 205 as well but I was actually hoping to just have one filter (for power and space reasons). Is there a single filter that would fit that purpose?

Two?? Well I would like to have a lot of filtration so I suppose I could add a 405 to the tank while keeping the 205 as well but I was actually hoping to just have one filter (for power and space reasons). Is there a single filter that would fit that purpose?

CF1200... I have one for sale. welcome to make an offer.

I have two Eheim cannister filters on my 200 litre tank, and I find having two filters is great. It means you can be pretty rough with one (over-cleaning, changing all the media at once, etc.) and know that there will be no problems because the other one is still running fine.

As for over-filtering, I don't think that will ever be a problem for your fish! Think of the streams and rivers some of them spend their lives in. They flow much faster than that. With a large piece of driftwood in there I'm sure the fish will have plenty of sheltered spots to hide in when they need a rest.

The plants might be a problem though. When I mis-directed a spray bar in my tank it ended up moving all the gravel substrate around and leaving part of the glass bottom of the tank exposed. You would need to be careful that you didn't end up with the water digging up your plants and flinging them around the tank. But by careful placement of the output hoses, that doesn't need to be a problem.

The wood is huge with a big cave and tunnel so the fish have lots of places to hide. Also, this tank has a hood and only one area for the intake/outflow hoses so a HOB or two sets of filter hoses will pose a problem. It sounds like I will be ok with just the 405 and it will fit in exactly where the 205 is now so I will give that a go.

Cheers! :bounce:

The filter provides a habitat for the bacteria. The aquarium provides the food for the bacteria.

If there is not enough habitat, the food can't be eaten.

If there is an enormous habitat the bacteria don't simply fill it, because there is not enough food.

'Overfiltration' does not cause problems as such, but is a waste of space. Of course the difficulty is you will never actually know if the filter is big enough, or 'bigger than enough'.

I am not familiar with the filters you are talking about, but if what you have is working well.... why change it?

Also remember that the L/h indicate the most the pump can do with no head or drag etc. So if you put the pump horizontally in shallow water with no restrictions that is about what it could do. When you put the pump under the tank you have a 'head' or weight of water that it has to push against, reducing the actual output.

Also remember that the L/h indicate the most the pump can do with no head or drag etc. So if you put the pump horizontally in shallow water with no restrictions that is about what it could do. When you put the pump under the tank you have a 'head' or weight of water that it has to push against, reducing the actual output.

That is not true for the eheims and fluvals. The flow rate for them (varies from model to model) is determined by a new cannister setup below the tank, at the appropriate height levels that are mentioned in their respective user manuals.

That is not true for the eheims and fluvals. The flow rate for them (varies from model to model) is determined by a new cannister setup below the tank, at the appropriate height levels that are mentioned in their respective user manuals.

Which would be, if the outlet is below or at water level, 0 static head. But you still have restriction from the hoses, media, etc.

Very good :)

The 405s lph is around 1200?

That gives you 7x turnover. Thats more than adequate for your stocking.

IF you didnt have a hood Id suggest getting a HOB rated at around 500lph to be your mechanical workhorse - to pickup most of the gunk out of your tank, and be easily cleaned weekly thus far extending the frequency you have to clean the canister, which would be your main bio filter :)