Using Filtered Water?

Wok

Ok....

I spent most of last week and the weekend at the Auckland Home show and somehow bought myself a water filter for the kitchen :o

Does anyone here use filtered water for their water changes?

If so, what are the effects on the fish and pH if any? :roll:

Ok....

I spent most of last week and the weekend at the Auckland Home show and somehow bought myself a water filter for the kitchen :o

Man, you are going to be popular with the missus... :wink:

As David R said, what does it filter?

Warren used to use three or four stage RODI for all water changes on his large planted tank, mainly because there are phosphates in the tap water.

I use it for my marine tank for the same reason.

It was a standard underbench do it yourself kit

must admit, didn't check to see what it took out, but this is what is on their website

1 micron cartridge which effectively removes & protects against……. Chlorine, Pesticides, Herbicides, Chemicals, Asbestos, Giardia, Cryptosporidium, Sediment, Rust, Heavy Metals, controls bacteria growth, reduces lime reduction, taste & odour.

so, what do you think? :roll:

My water goes thru a 20 micron filter then a 1 micron filter and then a 1 meter long 50w uv filter, and i am on rainwater :o

Don't blame me, the set up came with the house when i bought it. I think that the previous owner must have been rather anal when i comes to drinking water quality :D after all that, there is another 1 micron filter hooked up to a separate tap on the kitchen sink.

I understand that there are 2 types of cartridges available, 1 is a throw away model and the other can be cleaned and then reused. I have not replaced any cartridges in the 3 years that we have been here as there has been no reduction of the flow from any of the household taps.

My water is great for some fish like catfish but not good for any type of cichlid and most other fish.

I add trace elements and mineral salts to all of my tanks.

My water goes thru a 20 micron filter then a 1 micron filter and then a 1 meter long 50w uv filter, and i am on rainwater :o

Don't blame me, the set up came with the house when i bought it. I think that the previous owner must have been rather anal when i comes to drinking water quality :D

You've clearly never had a look in your gutters and tank. Before it even gets into the tank it will have been filtered through 10 meters of rotten leaves, slugs, spiders, bird poop, roaches and hundreds of other bugs. Of course, many of those will have been washed down into the tank too and be dead and rotting in it...

Good enough for the fish though, I just don't usually drink ours.:)

The one micron filters are normally a physical filter that will be sufficient to reduce bacteria and normally require a prefilter if there is a load of gunk in the water. I fail to see how they will reduce or remove chemicals such as chlorine as they are normally only a physical filter.

I would think it would not realy do much to improve your water as you are on town supply (or were when I was there) and the council is required to provide you with water of better quality than the filter is capable of producing. Routine testing of your water by the Council as required by law, should ensure that the water is safe to drink in relation to all those things mentioned other than chlorine (which should kill any bacteria anyway)

Most filters that allow a good flow of water would be good for removing objects like ciggy butts but not much use for removing pathogens. Any physical filter is not going to remove stuff in solution. I spent years working with rural water supplies and there is a lot of false claims made about many of the domestic filters sold. Technology has no doubt improved but I would think that the false claims are still out there.

Finally got round to fitting my new filter in the sink yesterday.

After having to go out and purchase some thread tape to stop some leaking from the connections, everything is all go, however have noticed that there is a small leak somewhere, need to check it out when I get home after work.

Well the first time I turned on the tap, a whole lot of black stuff came out, so I am assuming that it is carbon, hence no Chlorine. :wink:

THat should answer Alanmin4304 questions. :roll: :wink: