whats the difference between a common guppy and a fancy

aquadude

People can charge more if they say they are fancy guppies :wink:

Same goes if you give them a fancy name :roll:

Fancy, as far as I can tell but I don't keep guppies, usually refers to the longer and/or different shaped tails. A common guppy has a spade or rounded tail.

i thought fancy guppy = not wild

pure/fixed strain fancy guppy for ones that breed true.

that's what I thought too.. but I'm just new at all this.

I do recall reading somewhere that a fancy guppy are just the ones bred colourfully for pet/breeder and show ownership as against one's you'd find wild.

Fancy guppies are line bred to fix the strain. A good breeder will seperate the males from females at an early age to obtain virgin females then breed the best of them to the best males to obtain and maintain good quality fish. If you just let them breed they will deteriorate in a few generations. So called wild guppies are often just a strain that has been been left to breed and has reverted to rubbish.

they haven't reverted to rubbish!

they're wonderful guppies in their own way, almost like a seperate species compared to the fancies. But its hard to find nice ones that don't throw babies with signs of fancy breeding - half black, big tails etc.

Should we settle on calling them mongrel fancy guppies, fixed strain bred fancy guppies, and wild-type guppies? Of course lots of muddled up crossbred fancy guppies are nice enough to be bred into a new strain, so then they'd become fixed fancy guppies too.

i leave the fry in with the parents, and pull the males out at about 2 weeks when they are sexable, but no where near ready to grow gonopodiums. Then when the girls have grown a bit but not ready to drop their first ones i choose which ones i want to breed, and move the extras out to join the boys.