Filtration for 2.200l x 570w x 600h tank

Myah

Hi

Comments are strange considering i have plants from all over NZ thats going it a 1000L clients tank in a couple of weeks..

The likes of pine tree and about 10 others are just leaded and sitting on the bottom of 270 L are growing so fast its really not believable..Just 2 flying foxes..there job is to keep clean..

Just whats in the water is food..Plus the lighting thats natural.

Becided the Chinese have been keeping fish with out any filteration for over a 1000 years and today most large scale systems dont have more than air moving the water...

The bactrica dont just live in filters but ever part of water and including on the glass and RIGHT through the base /wood/plants.

I have a few small 8 & 40 L tanks that have zip but sand and fish and plants do well..Not even air..

Its not the filteration that keeps nitrates down but fresh water..

i over the years have tried many a power filter and found in my view that unless they have the UV the are no better than good old UG filters that cost a few bucks and yes the Whole tank floor can be and in most cases will be filter...

What about marine..We used to make the back of the tank also just like a sump...Air Powered.

I have been testing for not 4 years but more like 40...

If sumps are running several tanks then usually just a matter of time before problems start..Phill

I have been testing for not 4 years but more like 40...

quality not quantity.

:wink:

eheim pro media has a usable surface area of 450sqm per litre.

you aint going to get that sort of area in your tank.

and surely you are not accusing me and millions of others around the world (including 000's on this forum) of being consumer suckers?

Hi

The sum of 100 x100 meters = 100000 square meters..Divided by your 450 sq m means that's about 22 nd size of a foot ball field..

Dont sound right some how...Maybe sq mm.......

Becides i use Pumis Sand thats totally hollow ..........

Work out 1200 x 500 at say 50mm..........Its huge...

Base filteration is also use to grow plants as a 5mm think nylon pad stops roots blocking and they just go sideways.........Phill

Hi

100*100=10,000 not 100,000

for stats on the substrate pro - http://www.eheimasiapacific.com/prod_e_media_bio.html

Sintered Pearl-shape Glass

* pH Neutral

* 450sqm/litre

* 4x faster rate of decomposition of toxins

* Bacteria stick better to surface with complex pore system

* Optimal sites for bacteria colonization

* Washable and reusable i.e. prolonged usage up to 50% more

That why you are banned from my trade me Dixon 1990

You always must have you say and never to the good of the conversion...You do it there and always here..

Well now every body knows that i cant be bothered with you....

Maybe you should try running over a hundred tanks.

I use enzymes that you will never know about and rearly net of rubbish.Not any other way..All is eaten

Breed 100000 goldfish a year for 20 years

Import tropicals for 15 years from all over the world .

Be the prime importer of my new fish that mostly i have and you wont get

Be the prime supplier to MAF for hundreds of fish names now on the import list.

Be the prime tackler of MAF that tried to change what ERMA had put about the last list..

Do you still think i make up what i say..Well no..One tank for $20000.00 made for kelly Taltons 17 years is still going today....

Ok ..10000 square meter..Thats 2 and a 1/2 acres...Or 1 hectare...Most sections are only 4 to 500 sq meters..

My view is its not correct...

Common scoria will give better results..My view again..Pure pumis is most likely the best on the would once it sinks and can not pack down as still in semi floating..

Phill

Personal preference I spose.

I agree that 'bio media' is actually a load of tosh really - yes it works, but a lot of people have the conception that you cannot sustain a bacteria colony without it.

2 examples -

1) The FX5 - people complain it doesnt have enough room for 'bio media'

2) Aquaclear filters (before they sold them with biomax) - people complainted about lack of 'bio media'

They are both absolutely stacked with sponges which are one of the easiest and effective methods of filtration - both for mechanic and bio.

I run two aquaclear 110s on one tank, two sponges in each. Nothing else (except a polishing pad)

The other advantages of sponges if you are so inclined, is to let one of two clog up and grow an anaerobic bacteria colony, thus removing nitrates.

As for UGF, personally id run one off a powerhead rather than an airpump :P

But then the beauty of airpumps are they can be battery powered, thus keeping oxygen exchange happening during a powercut :)

scoria is good but blocks up easy and gives about 250sqm per gallon.

Again, that is to be used in a power filter.

I guess it depends on the type of tank one has, the stocking, and what the person feels most comfortable with.

None of my tanks would survive without a cannister filter or 2 and a copious amount of media.

then again, there are those that can stock lightly, do water changes and have an undergravel or similar and be fine.

Plants and UG's dont do too well though.

Given today's busy lifestyles, where we want to spend more time appreciating tanks, than to sit maintaining them, I think cannister filters and media are a real boon to us.

I know I personally would not have any tanks if I did not have cannister filters to go with them.

There are obviously advantages and disadvantages with each system. An undergravel system needs to be set up with the right graded filter material because it is basically a slow sand filter like used in water treatment. This is not normally compatable with growing plants. I had a fish house with a lot of tanks all with undergravel filters originally but I found them too much work in cleaning and sterilizing between uses so I went on to bare tanks and diatom filters which were fashionable at the time. They are not fashionable now but are good filters in my view. The nitrogen cycle can be handled with a good balance of water changes and biological loading (the number of fish in the tank).

Each has its place and you pays ya money and takes ya pick.