cockateil and lorikeet?

gem_scott

I have just aquired a sick cockatiel and was wondering how do lorikeets and cockatiels get along? Should i (when the cockatiel is not infectious) get side by side cages? Are they known to be agressive towards one-another?

Or does anyone just have general advise in keeping a cockatiel that i might be unaware of?

Cockatiels are lovely gentle natured birds. I know they don't always mix well with bossy budgies as they get dominated by the budgies but I'm not sure about lorikeets - I would imagine Lorikeets are bossy too. Lorikeets have been known to displace even Cockatoos from their homes in Australia, and in NZ they drive out our natives such as the nectar feeding Tui. but a pet situation might be different.

Good luck with rehabilitating the sick cockatiel - is he/she tame?

Yes he is tame but not hand reared. Yes the lorikeet is handreared and very friendly but im just worried that because he is bossy and was here first that he will hurt lil Birdy.

Birdy does get a lil grumpy though and can bite if he doesnt get his way.

Unfortunately Birdy already has a mirror and loves it, couldn't bare to take it away from him.

The most important thing is that cockateils are seed eaters and loris as you know are not. The difference in diet is why people don't normally mix the two.

The cockateil won't like another bird with it if it has a mirror - sounds like a typical possessive bird.

Lorikeets are pretty hard to cure if they get a disease too.

Hubby's brother in Aussie has both in side by side cages. He had the lorikeet first then rescued the cockatiel from the pool. They get on fine.

thats awesome! i hope mine do like each other. :)

what do you mean "recipe for disaster" what could happen just side by side? apart from the obvious hating each other and moving to oposing sides oh and posible disease (not likely because we keep their cages rather clean)

Yup its down to the personalities. My cockatiels lived with a canary I found flying around outside, infact my older one lester used to feed the canary, but my younger cockatiel used to get a lil stroppy at times with the canary. Hooked beaks and strait beaks together I know! but my cockatiels were both hand reared and I dont think they knew they were birds. Test them out side by side, see if they get on well together, some times strange little bonds can form, other times its like chalk and cheese.