Paua shells in fish tanks

BikBok

My personal feeling (based on no evidence whatsoever!) is that paua shells may be marginally worse than other shells to put in a freshwater tank. Not only does the outer white stuff dissolve, raising the pH and hardness of the water, but the colourful innner stuff ends up coming off in quite sharp flakes.

I deliberately had a paua shell in my tank a few years ago in an attempt to buffer the pH. I thought if I was going to have a shell in there, then it might as well be a pretty one! But as the coloured bit started to flake off I had several mysterious deaths amongst my usually indestructable gold barbs. I suspect they may have swallowed some of the sharp flakes.

Like I said, that's only my speculation, and I'm definitely not going to do a controlled experiment to find out if I'm right! Poor little fishies. :(

When I was really young, maybe 9 years old, my dad had a large tank set up with angels. It had a few granite rocks and fake plants and there was a very large paua shell right in the middle of it. None of the fish had health problems (from what I remember) and they grew from wee pups to large colourful adults. Since I was young, I don't know where the shell was brought from (living inland Canada) but it never broke apart even after all those years. Maybe it was from a different tougher species then the NZ paua...or maybe it had some form of protective coating on it.

Anyways, if your daughter is really keen on it, maybe you can get a non toxic varnish and coat the shells with several layers to protect them from the elements :)

Interesting. My paua shell ended up very, very thin and porous, and some parts of it dissolved completely. Obviously it would depend on how soft and acidic your water was in the first place - but mine was just 'normal' Auckland town supply water.

Yup, that's what happens to them in my tanks. I've thrown coral in the filter and a couple pieces of coral in the tank, they don't seem to be dissolving so fast anymore.:P