Sudden Fright Syndrome?

Cricketman

ive been doing some research for Tech on Bangaii Cardinals and have read that studies have shown that individuals that did not have enriched Artemia (enriched with HUFA's, or highly unsturated fatty acids) are more likely to die of SFS than those that were enriched.

my question is, what defines SFS, and what does HUFA's have to do with slowing the events or preventing these deaths?

Any help is greatly appreciated, tried google and that was an epic fail... :roll:

spoe to my dad, should of done that in the first place really if i thought about it...

clinical pathologist and heamatologist, :roll:

he says it probably has to do with the development of the myo-cardial(?? something like that) - sheath, basically the nerves down the backbone, and the HUFAs develop this faster so that if they get a fright then they are not as sensitive to it and able to re-coop better than a individual with a not-so-developed sheath....

all of this is a educated guess, but it makes sense to me... guess the development of the species hasnt been studied that thouroughly yet to give a definitive reason.

thank you

you don't need cpr! :lol:

he says it probably has to do with the development of the myo-cardial(?? something like that) - sheath, basically the nerves down the backbone, and the HUFAs develop this faster so that if they get a fright then they are not as sensitive to it and able to re-coop better than a individual with a not-so-developed sheath....

how well developed is their brain?

:lol: . clearly that was a horribly phrased question hahaha.

what i meant was - are their receptors really that sensitive? or is it that they produce more "hormone" (could be adrenalin, or some other - i dont know) - thus a higher concentration, and so more of a fright response.

lol, i think it is that thier receptors are alot more "Raw" for lack of a better word, and when a fright event happens, they have a bigger reaction to it, than another individual with a more developed sheath...

litterally raw nerves...

thats my understanding, feel free anyone to correct me! lol

spoe to my dad, should of done that in the first place really if i thought about it...

clinical pathologist and heamatologist, :roll:

all of this is a educated guess, but it makes sense to me... guess the development of the species hasnt been studied that thouroughly yet to give a definitive reason.

Death by hypomyelination?

• 2 weeks later...

Anyway...

I have 2 current batches of bangaii cardinals in the grow out phase, with another batch being held in the males mouth at the moment..

The more advanced batch of 29 exhibited the Sudden Fright Syndrome behavior a couple of weeks ago when I was cleaning the tank - water change and salinity adjustment.

About 10 of them freaked out, went nuts and played dead in the water column for a few seconds before returning to normal. I had been feeding them exclusively BBS, and had been a little lax with the enrichment of the BBS. That with maybe a temperature change may have caused the freak out.

All returned to normal and I've been attempting to wean them off BBS and onto other foods since then.

For the 1st 6odd weeks after being released by the male, they were in a breeders cage in my reef tank and the first lights to come on over the tank were my T5's which are on are dimmable and mimic sunrise/sunset

So for that time I avoided any sudden light change, after that they have been transferred to a grow out tank which has lights switched off a timer - this hasn't caused any negative effects.

The second batch of 18ish is currently in the breeders cage in the display again and are doing fine.

I don't know how many the male is holding now but his mouth looks more full than the second batch.

Losses so far???

I am up to 4 batches including the one the male is holding now.

The first batch I suspect died from lack of food.

second batch - 30 babies, 1 Dead on release - fed to anenome, 29 in growout tank

third batch - 18?? (hard to count), 1 dead on release - fed to goby

forth batch - I'll find out in just over 2 weeks :bounce:

Thats my experience anyway.

If you are looking for more online information, try the International Marine Breeders Forum - MOFIB. It contains a heap of information provided by individuals, plus links to papers and articles that people think may be of assistance to other people trying to breed Marine ornamental fish and invertebrates

Hope that helps. :)