Help Help Help! They want to get rid of our swamp

twinkles

I can't remember asking if you have done this but how about asking the local educational institutes to send some ecology students to see if there are any rare/threatened species, flora or fauna, in there. There are some orchids and things like that that live in swamps that are super rare. If you get the right people they will kick up a huge stink

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, they've finally got started the last few days. Had a sudden turn around from the council guy whereby we settled on a fenceline going through the area, and they are clearing between the fence and the river - all the big introduced trees and blackberry etc. Then they'll do the rockwork on the river edge, then they'll get started on the part behind the fence.

Behind the fence is the swampland and the bush. We had to agree to removing the willows from the swamp, which will no doubt cause some major upsets, but they'll be immediatly replaced with cabbage trees, nikau, grasses and other native plants of the councils 'suitable native plants' list. So we've spent the last few days running over there every few hours to check what they're up to - don't trust the contractors to be bothered noticing what they're cutting. They've been given strict instructions on what not to cut, i.e there's a few big natives, one cabbage in particular, which are on the 'to clear' side of the fence, so they should be fine but we're keeping a close eye on it and ready to send them packing if they chop the wrong thing. Judging from the way they're dropping the big trees they're not very careful, they're crashing down any which way. Even though they have to go its awfully sad, there's something so powerful about watching and feeling the big ones drop. The poplars are huge, like 5 times the height of our house.

The whole area is very strictly fenced off and patrolled, and we were told we're not allowed to check what they're up to unless we arrange a booked visit with the council guy - even on our land - but they don't realise we can walk out our backyard into the middle of the swamp so we are able to keep watching without having to argue the point.

Grey ducks have taken off, hope they come back at the end :(

Been reminding ourselves that it'll probably be awful for the next year, but by this time next year all the new planting will be taking off, it'll have been left in peace for a few months, and the birds should all be back. Then it'll be better in the long run once the natives establish themselves more and the blackberry is kept away.

Ah, good to hear how things are coming along.

It must be hard watching them cause so much collateral damage, but you are right - with the exotics and particularly the smothering blackberry gone, the natives will flourish, and in a year's time the new plantings will look awesome :)

You should pick a spot you can find again and take photos every few months so you can watch what you are achieving!

As it is you have saved the wetland from certain drainage!

(good luck with Mr Algae...)

• 2 years later...

Haven't been on here for a couple of years - we had no internet for ages and i've had alot of other stuff going on. But still pop in to read the boards when I can and thought it was way past time for an update on this :)

Clearance work started at the end of 2009, finished and replanting started in autumn 2010, then some more the next summer, then it's been left alone since.

Current pic -

150133_445405292140262_100000123867401_2005637_1008078176_n.jpg

The water is covered by that red plant stuff, with a few clear patches, but it's holding water still over this patch of dry weather. On the far side of water towards the right you can see the council's attempt at planting, they put in those few clumps of grasses. The big green bushy patch in the middle of the pic is the small trees they left, and behind those and the grasses are alot of native shrubs and things that are about 1m high now, down to the river. The red sticks down in the water, and the green bits off to the left are willow, happily regrowing from the bits they dropped when clearing them. The ones out of site away to the left are getting big enough to stop water flowing, far worse than before. :facepalm:

Since they've finished messing round and aren't going to do anymore here, we're going to take over and get stuck in over the next few months improving it. Cut down alot of willow, walnut etc that's been trying to regrow and took it away for goat food, but heaps more needs doing. We're looking at clearing all the weeds off the near side of the water, putting in some coconut matting stuff, and planting it all out properly, but need to learn a bit more about exactly what to plant first. It needs grassy bush things to go down by the water and provide hiding spots for the fish of course, but also some tall sun-blocking things to shade it and stop the green water and so forth. Waiting for DOC to get back to me with their riparian planting guide before we decide exactly what would be best. The near side is the north side, so that's where we can create the most shade over the water, and part of it is owned by us so we can go ahead and plant stuff without having to get permission.

On the plus side - what they did plant is growing well, we've wiped out the possums, and lots of aquatic life has returned to the water. There's frogs, bullies and bizillions of mayfly babies, backswimmers etc, and probably more things hiding in there that i haven't spotted. Just need to get busy and improve it a bit more :)

And now I also have a new plan. The rest of the river margin, upstream and down from here, is all grazing land - a stretch of several kms with our town alongside it, and on this side all community owned land 'cared for' by the council. It's all leased as cattle grazing, with them standing in the water daily and nothing but grass, blackberry and cow poo. So i've extended my mission and want to remove the cows, riparian plant the whole length, and have a bush reserve and floodplain that has a positive effect on the water quality rather than the filth it picks up at the moment as it travels through our town.

Don't really know how we'll achieve this but i'm determined that we will. Everyone complains about the way it is, but no one's got around to complaining to the right people or coming up with a plan to rectify it.

I'm thinking the best way to start would be to write up a proposal covering what we'd like done and what it would take to implement, benefits etc, then take it to the council and see what they say. Then when they refuse get some community backing to change their minds. Given that the council has lovely sounding brochures about repairing our waterways, fencing stock away from rivers etc, and presents itself as clean and green and caring for our environment, they should come round eventually, even if it's only to save themselves looking like hypocrites. Anyway if anyone's got any suggestions or links to info I can include please fire away, it's a bit daunting but i'm sick of walking down there and seeing cows standing in the river, globs of algae bloom and no fish.

This is really bizzare. I was thinking about you the other day Twinkles. Well not you personally but the saga you were having with this bit of land. I am not sure what made me think of it but I was wondering what happened here and also what happened to you as I had not seen you on the board for a few years.

Good that you are taking matters into your hands. I think if everyone had this sort of attitude then NZ may actually be that green country that we try to pass ourselves off to being.

Thanks for the update.

Simon

:hail::hail::hail:

Everyone complains about the way it is, but no one's got around to complaining to the right people or coming up with a plan to rectify it.

That is exactly the way to do it :)

(btw the red plant is Azolla, a native fern that has a nearly-symbiotic cyanobacterium living under its 'scales'. The fern uses the cyano for nitrogen and the cyano uses the Azolla for a nice safe home. Very cool plant.)

Good that you are taking matters into your hands. I think if everyone had this sort of attitude then NZ may actually be that green country that we try to pass ourselves off to being.

:thup:

(btw the red plant is Azolla, a native fern that has a nearly-symbiotic cyanobacterium living under its 'scales'. The fern uses the cyano for nitrogen and the cyano uses the Azolla for a nice safe home. Very cool plant.)

I'll have to go round and get some better pics to put up for i.d's on the small aquatic plants in there, would love to work out what they all are..

i'm sick of walking down there and seeing cows standing in the river,

i believe that is an illegal activity now

stock must be fenced off from water ways

if you could get some locals to back you you may be able to take over the lease of the strip

for a peppercorn rental

form a trust to look after it

show the council how it should be done

livingart - perfectly legal here sadly, most councils now have rules on this sort of thing but ours is lagging behind.

So i've found out the Horizons ratepayer meeting on the 2012-13 river and drainage scheme is next thursday (eep!)

Trying to get a formal plan in place before then, and some people to come with me to present it. Formed a facebook group to connect peoples up - http://www.facebook.com/groups/160955410698054/

And going to go around some local places today and try to gather some support, like the kohunga reo which is next to one of the streams. And will go along and photograph all the little stream which run into the river along that stretch. Etc.

Definately need to set it up as a trust as suggested, but have no idea how to do that. Will ask around today and hopefully find someone keen to work on that part of it. Then we could apply for grants for plants etc. I worked out it would take 50,000 seedlings just to do a tiny strip along the waters edge. But i'm sure we could split it up into lots of parts and get different community groups and things working on their own parts, and collect alot of donations for planting.