Huka Prawn Park?

Romeo

Hey, what's the deal with this. I just saw it mentioned in another thread and couldn't believe this is an NZ venture. Surely there would be all sorts of MAF issues right?

As far as I was aware there wasn't a native freshwater giant prawn in NZ!

Can someone fill me in, their website has every possible piece of info, except about their prawns :-?.

http://www.hukaprawnpark.co.nz/

A species called Macrobrachium Rosenbergii (Giant Malaysian River Prawn) was chosen being best for commercial production, females spawn up to five times per year; a 50-gram female can produce up to 50.000 eggs. The Rosenbergii grow very fast and are ready to harvest at 8 months of age. Our largest Prawn produced here on-site was “Horse” and he grew to an amazing 68cm; he was not harvested but died of old age at 2 years old

Worth while to go for a looksie,

but be prepared to sell an arm or a leg to purchase any prawns to eat.

but I guess you have to try it at least once.

Might take the kids prawn fishing one day.... when I am a bit richer :wink:

been setup a few years now

the prawns are fully tropical and they are fully contained

i think this is the species MACROBRACHIUM ROSENBERGII

Your right about the species and that their fully tropical

my brother went their when he went to snow camp a week ago and caught a WHOLE 4 PRAWNS!!!!!!! :lol: and they managed to eat them all at home without me noticing :evil:

i went through the tour there and was a good trip, got to see all the baby prawns and feed some youngins. they heat the ponds by pumping the river water through the big plant thing nextdoor,(thermal power plant possibly) to heat it. they had a display tank or 2 set up with their biggest prawn. went fishing there twice, once we caught enough to full a plate and the second time i only got one. best thing is is that the park will cook what you catch.

i guess you could allways ask them about shipping live ones to you

ps they even have some tropical fish in the grow out tanks (from memory they where plecos)

they only got away with having them there as they cannot breed in cold water, but they will survive for a while. long as the trout dont get hold of them! hahaha

i dont know about the legality of having them in the home aquarium. you could argue that the prawn farm gives presidence to the fact that they are unable to cause harm to the local environment and therefore should be allowed to be kept in a home aquarium. but then again, you might need a permit.