My Goldfish are spawning!!!!

N1CK

:bounce: YAY :bounce:

Woke up this morning and noticed around 9ish that one lemon oranda is getting chase around by several other goldfish, went to have a look (in the rain) and the one that is getting chased is a female and many of the ones doing the chasing are male.

So caught her and stuck her in a 45l bin with the pond water running though it and have found a nice big lemon male (with his pimples :lol:) and some branches of a tree(one with fine leaves, err I forgot the name...)

Last year when they bred it was when the filter had been off for a few months and the pond had a nice green tinge to it, and when we finally realised they had bred it was when there were 2cm+ babies swimming around :roll:

So what do I feed them?? and how long will they take to hatch when they lay eggs....

(any help appreciated :D)

Then again I thought it was a bit early though for them too be breeding....

They love the high pressure weather systems.

:bounce: YAY :bounce:

Woke up this morning and noticed around 9ish that one lemon oranda is getting chase around by several other goldfish, went to have a look (in the rain) and the one that is getting chased is a female and many of the ones doing the chasing are male.

So caught her and stuck her in a 45l bin with the pond water running though it and have found a nice big lemon male (with his pimples :lol:) and some branches of a tree(one with fine leaves, err I forgot the name...)

Last year when they bred it was when the filter had been off for a few months and the pond had a nice green tinge to it, and when we finally realised they had bred it was when there were 2cm+ babies swimming around :roll:

So what do I feed them?? and how long will they take to hatch when they lay eggs....

(any help appreciated :D)

Then again I thought it was a bit early though for them too be breeding....

OHHH! :bounce:

Can we get some picks of what you've made for them to spawn in?

My only suggestions would be, green water to start with for the fry as green water is full of goodies. (especially the stuff out of water troughs in paddocks etc)

Also toss in some boiled egg yolk, but not too much.

And keep the parents away from them but that should go without saying!

After the goldfish have spawned they usually try and scoff all the eggs they can find.

Hope that helps.

Well I've already got brine shrimp going for my bettas so that's easy enough

3877317920_cd0ff8a1c2.jpg

It's kinda like a tank with the pond being a giant sump :lol:

3877316160_f1912dd2df.jpg

3855609730_b10d0bd708.jpg

(that was with the good camera about two months ago, but my sisters got it at uni atm)

I also thing the lemon one it the top right hand corner is the girl

• 2 weeks later...

It's getting cloudy :lol: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

they've been laying eggs all over these plants now since about 7ish this morning and they're still 'doing' it 4 hours later :o

3904540479_bfeb5f62df.jpg

They've managed to tip this pot over and get eggs all over it

3904538257_c894b0814d.jpg

you can see some eggs on this one but the roots under the plant diddn't focus very well

(the coloured thing at the bottom is a scale with abit of flesh attached :-? :( )

we are talking gold fish here. I just bought two blue orandas, about 6cm long. I put them in the tank and the next morning and I found chasing behind my other fish, which is a cross of fantail + oranda, probably 4x its size and snipping/eating the tail. I have now separated all of the younger fish into another tank.....

I have 4 big fish, probably around 20cm long, and all of their tails are damaged with filled with blood streaks...

Is this a sign of breeding or something else?

It is a sign some fish are not behaving well. Fish can get damaged when spawning but it is more usually scale damage on the body. In this case, since you have seen one of them attacking the tails of the others, I would say it is totally due to this. Blood streaked fins along with frayed, white edges, can also be fin rot.

• 4 weeks later...
How are the first lot going? Growing well??

Not really :(, I kind of forgot about them for a while with all my other fish stuff and got a bit lazy with the W/C's and feeding theres not very many left now, yet they have spawned again so I might try it with a bit more enthusiasm this time :D :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: , just have to wait for them to do it again :lol:

• 4 weeks later...