Uninterruptible power supply

evil_elmo

I think they are very short term, kind of only designed for enough power for you to save your work on a pc and shut down.. You would probably have to buy a pretty good one or setup a bunch more batteries for it to be any good in a fishroom, you are probably better off getting a generator?

I was running one on my marine tank, only removed it a couple of weeks ago to save my power bill. I plugged a power meter into it and it was drawing about 100w 24/7 just to run itself.

It's an APC which is one of the better brands, I never tried it but going by the manufacturer spec it should have run my return pump and heaters for 10+ hours.

A lot of the newer ones are more efficient but some pumps will not run off a UPS unless the UPS has true sine wave output, which only the expensive ones have. We found our Fluvals would not run on a UPS but the Eheims did. Haven't tried any others.

A generator would work however they are obviously more expensive and you have to be there to start them up in the case of a power failure. The advantage of a generator is that you could get one large enough to run the heaters as well but still be portable enough to be able to be moved by one person. Ones being imported from China are quite cheap and apparently work well.

I had a pile of them sitting round in the shed until a few months ago. I used one for a few months as we dont have the most relyable power. It was just on the air pump and water pump. Didnt have a powercut until a week after I took it off.

Found the same as suphew. It costs a fortune just to run it.

I idea behind a UPS is it turns on automatically if you are not home. Unlike a generator. If you really want one but dont mind a manual version then fit one and charge it for a few days and then just have it on standby. It should keep its charge for a month. Even a small one should run a standard airpump or a small filter for half an hour or so.

Or you could take your tank along and plug it in to the local hospital or civil emergency HQ! :lol:

They have generators that turn on automatically in case of power failure. Obviously if you're on life support in a hospital you would want a fairly reliable power supply! :o

I'm sure the hospital won't mind you turning up there with your tanks and plugging them in for a while.

Or you could take your tank along and plug it in to the local hospital or civil emergency HQ! :lol:

They have generators that turn on automatically in case of power failure. Obviously if you're on life support in a hospital you would want a fairly reliable power supply! :o

I'm sure the hospital won't mind you turning up there with your tanks and plugging them in for a while.

Hmm, that's a point. I could run an extension cord to my work. We have 10 UPSes and something like 4 megawatts of generators.:)

Multiple lines down with trees falling all over the place. Fixed now with no harm done except for the 7 year old thinking the world had ended because no electric blanket or bedtime story. Dont make trees like they used to, must be soft up here because I didnt think it was that bad.

Seems most of Bulls was out so thats like over 10 occupied houses and close to 50 people affected.

Multiple lines down with trees falling all over the place. Fixed now with no harm done except for the 7 year old thinking the world had ended because no electric blanket or bedtime story. Dont make trees like they used to, must be soft up here because I didnt think it was that bad.

Seems most of Bulls was out so thats like over 10 occupied houses and close to 50 people affected.

Your kid is broken.

I used to LOVE power outages when I was a kid. Wandering around the house with just candles for light, it was great.:)

• 2 weeks later...