Inspire me with your Oscar pics

MarkLB

Hi all. I'm thinking very seriously of getting an Oscar in the next month or two and I'm looking for pics of fish and full tank set ups to inspire me. Please post yours and any good links too 8)

I've done some research already and I've seen Red Tigers, Reds and Albinos. Are there any others available to us? I'm thinking of getting a Red Tiger at this point. I'll also be getting a Plec of some description but some advise on other possible tankmates would be appreciated.

Tank size is 5 foot, 540 litres. Filtration will be an FX5 or two if it's deemed necessary.

For a 5 ft id have:

A Tiger Oscar

Borneo Tiger

Eartheater (jurupari, brasiliensis, surinemsis etc..)

Ive got that in a 4ft and its great, they could do with a 5ft when they grow.

A borneo tiger would be a great addition. I also prefer eartheaters over plecs as they do a better job at cleaning up food. No point having an algae eater that poos heaps if you dont have algae problems!

:lol: Yeah, I know about their redecorating habits.

Morcs, you make a good point re: an Eartheater. I'll do some more research 8) and I've always thought a Borneo Tiger would be cool 8)

From what I've read so far I would probably be better to get the tankmates first and let them get some size before adding an Oscar to the tank, due to the faster growth rate of the Oscar.

Oh dear -facepalm- I just asked the exact same questions in my thread, before looking here! So I'll continue on here.

Would these fish for a 180x50x60 be ok?

1 x oscar

2 x sevs

1 x convict

1 x EBJD

1 x pleco (my partner is adamant he wants a plec, so I decided to entertain him on at least one of the fishies!)

I've been reading a variety of information with different opinions on oscars and convicts, and asked on MFK and was told it should be ok. I guess it's one of those don't know if you try, and if it does end up beating on them, I can always pop it in the AR850 since that'd be empty for a while.

If you want as much fish with less attitude but is great to interact with, more rare and with better colour, then come and see my Chocolate Cichlids Mark

Easy to house and IMHO easier to live with than Oscars.

Also you dont get the jaw deformities and their colour improves with age not decreases.

JMO

Happy to have you come and have a look anytime.

Navarre