Homemade food

Lizzy

Well, looks like either glutenized rice flour doesn't work, or I didn't mix it in well enough. Looks pretty interesting when the fish swallow a chunk and then spend 10 seconds puffing white clouds out their gills. Makes them look like they're smoking. It also didn't hold together very well, so there are little fragments floating all over the tank.

Now I've gotta decide what to do with what I made, I don't really want to feed it to them if it makes that much of a mess, but there's a pretty big lot of it. Guess the dog might get it, she got what was left of the beefheart and liver, so looks like she'll end up getting ALL of it.

Hi Ira, sounds like you had fun with that stuff. I have not tried using gluten flour before but this is what I do and it works for me. Bleend up some chicken liver, beef heart, fish, and spinich to an almost liquid consistancy then use a bowl and a wooden spoon to mix in some dried breadcrumbs till its a thick paste. Flaten it out betwwen sheets of creaseproof paper and freeze.

• 5 years later...
Nope, thats the beauty of this food, it does not cloud the water at all. The gluten flour completely binds everything and stops the cloudiness.

Do you think Warren that this could be made entirely out of vegies for the BN's?? Cause they are getting thoroughly sick of courgettes, zuchini and cucumber (which have been keeping very well into winter this year).

Currently I have lots of carrots, spinach and silverbeet in the garden, but need something to bind it together. Would this gluten work? Or shall I try gelatine?