axys hatching out over an extended period normal? Cold?

darkfur

Got 25 golden albino axy eggs off tm and they have developed well but are hatching in fits and starts... two 4 days ago and one 3 days ago, none since but the eggs do seem to be ok, no cloudiness and some movement of the little fellas inside. Is it normal for them to hatch out over an extended period? Do I need to put a heater in with them? A wall thermometer near them says 17 degrees but I think its in a warmer spot than the tank. They are in a 30x30 tank filled up only about 5cm but could fill it up more and put a 25w heater in there or I have a plastic heat pad I normally use for germinating seeds which I could put underneath. I have daphnia in there for the ones which have hatched and bbs and microworms on the go all ready for my babies when they deign to appear.

I have morphed and yet to morph and they have just started laying eggs again after about a month of rest. The only ones that would survive the relocation would be the morphed ones I think. I sent some eggs successfully to another member a while ago but I think the weather was a bit warmer.

• 2 weeks later...

ok so I have those three axys which have hatched as above and yet the others have not yet. Most of the eggs still look viable to me, a couple of days ago I saw some movement. I did pull out a cloudy egg today. Do I have a problem here (with the axolotls that is lol :o )? One of the younguns died this am the others seem happy on daphnia. Specs are, very tiny air powered filter that I made myself out of a pill bottle running very gently (eggs not being jostled or anything), water temp 20C, water depth about 8cm, pH approx 6, GH approx 30, nitrates and nitrites 0, ammonia 1ppm since this am presumably due to the fatality. Will change about 1C of water using stresscoat and stresszyme in appropriately tiny amounts.

BTW my chinese fbn eggs arrived today!!!!! Alan and other herpetophiles wisdom very welcome :)

thank you in advance, the fur

I hatched 8/8 chinese fb eggs sent in the post and they have been doing well since. Feed brineshrimp nuplii to both as it is better food value and you need to feed them well or they will feed on each other and newts don't grow the bits back like axies. When they morph start feeding them on the land rather than in the water.

I feed my newts even once they've morphed in the water. I was told long ago that it's better to encourage them to spend more time in the water, I have no idea if it's true but it does make it very easy to ensure all the food is being eaten and those babies leap off their floating logs and paddle over to me pretty quickly when they see food :lol: The only things I don't do it with are the wingless fruit flies and the aphids. They are great fun to raise and as long as the water quality is good and there's plenty of food they seem to thrive.

Mine have always been fed on land, well they have fruit flies in there constantly and I add stems covered in aphids when I can find them.

I have never seen them in the water yet, except for when I very first got them and one fell in accidentally when it was exploring lol I am not sure if I should shove them in or let them figure it out them selves lol

unfortunately the was I set the enclosure up means that I can not see them on the land portion unless I open the lid up and peer in lol

the three hatchling axys have all died now :cry: the NH3 level was way up but whether that was cause or effect I am not sure. Was wondering if some daphnia were dying and polluting things. Alan are daphnia kind of big for newly hatched axys? Was wondering if perhaps they were not eating them and going hungry. Good news is at least one egg was showing signs of life as in being squirmy when I was doing a water change/cleanup :) so hope there yet

ooooooooo my chinese FBNs are hatching :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

they look like little bird poos!

Grats :bounce: :bounce:

I :lol:ed at the bird poo bit

Do you reckon a 45x45x45 exo terra terrarium would be alright for 2/3 Chines FBN (that's if im allowed to get some.....)