help sex my 10cm electric yellow lab and id this malawi?

trace&steve

hi everyone i was wondering if someone could help me i have a electric yellow lab and its about 10-11cm long im 90% sure its a female mine doesnt have a face mask but do all males get the face mask or just some? also it has no egg spots !!!!

also does anyone know what this malawi is???

I think we need to see a photo of this one :) I have never heard of a "face mask" being used to sex yellows..

Generally you can sex yellows by behaviour and by size and black markings on fins.. Black markings can be deceptive though as some females have quite solid black marking on fins. Then you can go onto venting..

oh ok i have seen males with really dark black fins and a dirty mask around there mouths ill up load pics shortly :-?

I think we need to see a photo of this one :) I have never heard of a "face mask" being used to sex yellows..

Generally you can sex yellows by behaviour and by size and black markings on fins.. Black markings can be deceptive though as some females have quite solid black marking on fins. Then you can go onto venting..

hi there mmm ok am i able to send them to you? whats your email address find seem to find it on here mines [email protected] if you wanted to email it through?? thank heaps for your help :D

They need to be online someplace that hosts pics and allows links, like Photobucket.

If you can't figure it out email the pic to me and I will do it for you.

I have sent you a PM but for those who don't realise, we have a lot more information on our Main Page (click on the FNZAS logo at the top left). You will find information about the FNZAS, a list of Officers, contacts for all affiliated clubs in NZ, articles, photos, a plant database, and heaps more! (no Ghinzu knives :wink: )

If I had to guess I would say male as well, not all male yellows have egg spots some have 1 some have none.. And alot of female africans have egg spots too some as vivid as males so it is not a very accurate way of sexing it certainly gives some clues though..

Your second fish.. What did you purchase it as and where from?

hi there ok so you think its a male but i have other smaller females and they havnt bred yet?? the second fish i brought about 7 of them as malawis from redwood fish supplys in christchurch he just got a bucket load brought in so i dont know where he got them from???

the other ones are blue with yellowy fins???

If I had to guess I would say male as well, not all male yellows have egg spots some have 1 some have none.. And alot of female africans have egg spots too some as vivid as males so it is not a very accurate way of sexing it certainly gives some clues though..

Your second fish.. What did you purchase it as and where from?

Male is my best guess but I have seen females with as much colour in the fin venting would be a good way to tell :)

Your other fish is def not an ob zebra it has no blotching. Some sort of zebra I am sorry from that photo and them coming in as a "bucket of fish" and the fact that most of the zebras in nz are mixed and just left to cross in mixed tanks I would say hybrid zebra they can throw all sorts.

thanks for all the feedback how do you tell with venting is the males hole the same size and the females ones smaller than the other???

with the zebra its really pretty it goes like a pinky colour with the rusty yellow through it hes my fav

Male is my best guess but I have seen females with as much colour in the fin venting would be a good way to tell :)

Your other fish is def not an ob zebra it has no blotching. Some sort of zebra I am sorry from that photo and them coming in as a "bucket of fish" and the fact that most of the zebras in nz are mixed and just left to cross in mixed tanks I would say hybrid zebra they can throw all sorts.

redwood had them in with the latest shipment were just called marble cichlids , i got a similar one

the OB's i have seen & owned were coloured in a blotch pattern rather than consistant lines like that, maybe its a new varient commonly known as a rusty zebra. :D