NOOOOO!! Why me!!??

enzoom1

To cut the long story short, my 4fter cracked!! :evil:

Uhg! All 370 litres emptied out of the tank into my living room! :cry:

Luckily, I have my 120 litre tank setup and waiting for puffers or else I don't know where all the fish would have gone.

HFF have said that they'll replace it by sunday as they have to make it and then leave it to cure etc..

It's all I have time to write now but will add some pics or the crack tonight.

Yeah it sucks alright. But luckily someone was here that could do something about it so all was not lost.

Here's a couple of pics of the crack. It runs from the bottom corner all the way diagonally to the top. It looks like it originates from a chip in the glass that the tank maker has tried to glue back in with silicon. Obviously, not such a good idea.. :-?

CopyofIMG_5075.jpg

CopyofIMG_5074.jpg

and here's a pic of the siliconed chip..

CopyofIMG_5073.jpg

And finally here's where the 1 senegal, 2 peru angels, 1 parrotfish, 1 leopard ctenopoma, 1 blue dempsey, 1 bristlenose and 1 siamese algae eater got dumped into (both angels are being ninja and hiding behind the big ornament somehow :-? :P )

CopyofIMG_5078.jpg

oh m8! that really sucks!!!

I wish I could offer some help!

how did it happen?

Don't know how it happened because it's been setup for 7 months, but I'm definate it started from the chip on the corner of the tank.

Just a big crack out of nowhere and water started gushing out.

I guess just over time with the pressure it just gave way?

wow, well if it makes you feel better, i did 1 worse

i flooded my partners mothers lounge when i was filling up my tank... i thought i turned it off, but i turned it on harder(it was a reverse thread :oops: ) , then went out....

couple hours later i get teh most ranting phonecall of my life...

$450 later after the flood control guys came through... :evil: :evil:

just think mate, at least you had the spare tank, otherwise coulda been alot worse.

good luck with the cleanup

I guess the bath would be a good place at a time like this :roll:

I've thought about this happening quite often, what on earth would I do with all my Fish, if this did happen to me :roll:

So my emergency plan is to use the Bath if I have too :o

Chuck a heater in there, filler up and hope for the best I guess :wink:

It is times like this that make us wonder why we keep fish! :-?

We had a 250L crack overnight and we got up to water heading up the hallway. It had already totally soaked the pure wool carpet in the 4m x 7m lounge and covered the vinyl in the dining room and kitchen. We discovered it as it was about to soak into the hall carpet :roll:

Luckily we already had another tank set up and cycling as we were about to transfer the fish to their new home anyway :bounce:

This is when you need to check your insurance cover! Many only cover water damage if the water has come from what they call a normal household supply - eg burst pipe or cylinder or tap issues. They will not cover water damage from a cracked tank.

Our original policy we actually asked if it covered fish tanks and they said yes. They were right, they replaced the cracked tank but would not cover the cost of lifting, drying, then relaying the carpet. Our fault for not questioning further. We now have a premier policy which definitely covers the damage caused as a result of a leaking tank as well as tank replacement. 8)

It wasn't as bad as it could have been as we got all the rugs off the ground although most had already been fairly soaked :(

The floor in the living room is tongue and groove floorboards so some of the water soaked through the floor, under the house so atleast the water did spread throughout the whole house.

Thank god someone was home or else it could have been MUCH worse :hail:

Update on the fish:

The two platies that had been tank sitting the 120L both got quite a beating mysteriously last night :cry:

Both were left with a lot of cuts and rips, one died and had its eyes missing and the other ones still hanging on in there.

I'm guessing it was the angels but who knows with those lot of fish :roll:

It wasn't as bad as it could have been as we got all the rugs off the ground although most had already been fairly soaked :(

The floor in the living room is tongue and groove floorboards so some of the water soaked through the floor, under the house so atleast the water did spread throughout the whole house.

Thank god someone was home or else it could have been MUCH worse :hail:

Update on the fish:

The two platies that had been tank sitting the 120L both got quite a beating mysteriously last night :cry:

Both were left with a lot of cuts and rips, one died and had its eyes missing and the other ones still hanging on in there.

I'm guessing it was the angels but who knows with those lot of fish :roll:

enzoom1, I have a spare small tank (30 x 30 x 60cm) if you need some way of keeping the fish apart while you sort out their accommodation? I just keep it empty in the garage in case of emergencies (like yours!) so it's here if you want to borrow it. I also have all the bits & pieces for it - heater, HOB filter, etc.

If you do want to borrow it you will need to pick it up from Avondale. Unfortunately I can't fit it on my motorbike for delivery! :lol: Just send me a PM if you want it and I'll send you my address.

Got the tank today (thanks HFF peoples for bringing it out).

I am actually fairly disappointed with the new the replacement tank; there was silicon smudges and handprints all over the glass which was a bit of a pain to get off, the lids where made weirdly and completey different sizes and shapes to the ones we had before hand so I couldn't just switch over the old lids which I liked (they had a glass handle on front bit :P ). The lids also didn't have many corners cut off so I can't get the hoses for my filter into tank.

I'm going to a glass workshop tomorrow to get the lids fixed.

I don't know who made the tank so I'm sorry if I offended anyone on here. :)