grrrrrrr.... children

Loopy

Did some overdue maintenance on our RSM on saturday, siphon, waterchange, rescued a tiny frag of a zoo that got lost behind the rock, rearranged the furniture, scraped all the walls, rinsed the filter sponge etc. Tank looked fantastic, corals glowing, fish happy. :D :bounce:

This morning i get up to find that lil *princess* (said dripping with sarcasm) has gone and chucked copious amounts of algae wafers and shrimp pellets into the tank. :evil:

I guess i know what i am going to be doing for the rest of the day.

(ps REALLY not in the mood to be bombarded with suggestions on how this could have been prevented. Hubby does a great job of this and whats done is done. Just a warning.)

my brother fed my goldfish orange juice when we were little because he thought it looked thirsty (?!!!!!)

it survived and lived many more years, and survived several more near misses such as being played with by a cat and jumping out of its tank and being covered in dust

I would suggest putting the food on the top shelf so the little one can not reach them :wink:

Hindsight should be illegal.

i think this has happened 3 times now. Food has always been outta reach (theoretically) If kids wanna feed fish kids are gonna feed the fish. doesn't matter where you put the dang food. It is one of those Winnie-the-Pooh occurs moments.

I am just *REALLY* annoyed that it happened to that particular tank. Can't really afford to throw around expensive saltwater and foods like that.

Has anyone got any suggestions regarding this problem? I have siphoned out 20L and got all the rock and coral out so i could net all the scummy food. I had to net it all out because it was too heavy to go up the siphon :o

you could try using a really wide piece of tubing (1 inch or more) as a siphon? or take the head off the siphon and just use the tube? that should suck it up ok. I take it the child in question is too young to be forced to do the dirty work, so you will have to hold it over her as a guilt trip for when she is older

Yeah the fine print was there from scratch. I just had a strong feeling i was going to get the big speel about preventative measures etc which doesn't prove to be very useful when the deed has already been done. :-?

So 40L water change has been done, all the rock etc back in the tank and looks murky and horrible. I am going to be patient and let the filter do its thing for a while. I am fustrated because i was really pleased with the way the rock was arranged and i can never remember how to put it back the same. :oops:

I take it the child in question is too young to be forced to do the dirty work, so you will have to hold it over her as a guilt trip for when she is older

Yes she is too young to do the dirty work. :roll: She is not too young to deny all involvement in the incident tho. I doubt it was the cat that did it.

She is also too young to have learnt how to lie convincingly. :lol:

Did you find Muppet?
Nope still gone without a trace. :cry:

Is the child not trainable?

Re lying convincingly, as a small child I found it bizarre that if you 'did the right thing' and was honest, you got told off. But if you lied well you avoided punishment. All that teaches is for your kids to lie to you, thus I got really good at lying as a kid.

Not sure what the way around it is.

• 5 weeks later...

When I was a little one, my mum was giving the two goldfish some medicine for white spot, she told me they were sick....when she turned her back, I had them both out into my dolls pram, put to bed...heads on the pillow....because they were sick!!! I am now a fish keeper and a nurse!!! They both died!! :cry: