August 9, 200917 yr comment_322334 I thought I'd post pics of my new fighter tank. It's an old tank I had set up but wanted to divide it up for my fighters. It has 10 compartments that are 15cms x 15cms x 30cms so holds about 6.75 litres each. The dividers have holes drilled in them and it's filtered by 2 box filters in the back corners and is heated by a 100W heater in the middle comparment. Heres a top veiw pic Full veiw pic And a pic of one of the compartment I'll add some of the fighters tommorrow and post some pics of them in thier new home later. Let me know what you think of the tank. Report
August 9, 200917 yr comment_322352 It's a great design but the only thing that would bother me would not being able to see all of them at once :roll: :roll:- (at me) what are the divides made of just wondering?? Report
August 9, 200917 yr comment_322353 I like the dividers, but wonder how the water moves around in the tank as the box filters will be circulating the water in the compartment that they are in and not much flow to the next compartment. Report
August 9, 200917 yr comment_322354 I like the dividers, but wonder how the water moves around in the tank as the box filters will be circulating the water in the compartment that they are in and not much flow to the next compartment. The dividers have holes in them so some water will be going through to the other compartments so it'll have water circulating. (It probably won't suck up all of the poo and stuff but I'll siphon that out) It's a great design but the only thing that would bother me would not being able to see all of them at once :roll: :roll:- (at me) what are the divides made of just wondering?? The dividers are made out of clear perspex so they can all see each other and flare and then I can see them all. What do you man I wouldn't be able to see them all? Report
August 9, 200917 yr comment_322384 methinks he means see them all at the same time side/side... lol i know what he means, but its still a good design Report
August 9, 200917 yr comment_322388 There will be enough water movement to keep the temp even. This is what i've done with my guppy babies and it works. Betta don't need water movement anyways. Just curious though...won't the constant views of each other and flaring wear the fish out? Report
August 10, 200917 yr comment_322510 Looks Great Cam :bounce: Maybe if you leave abit of a gap at the bottom of the perspex where it meets with the bottom of the Tank, you may get abit better water flow though the Tank that way. Cant wait to see it full of Fighters :bounce: I've just got a new Blue Boy and a new Red Boy, love them to bits, such Handsome Wee Fellas. Report
August 10, 200917 yr comment_322528 methinks he means see them all at the same time side/side... lol i know what he means, but its still a good design Oh lol. :oops: There will be enough water movement to keep the temp even. This is what i've done with my guppy babies and it works. Betta don't need water movement anyways. Just curious though...won't the constant views of each other and flaring wear the fish out? Yip. Theres enough water movement to keep the temp even but as you say the fighters don't need much water flow so hopefully they'll have enough water flow to keep them happy and healthy. I'm hoping that keeping them together so they can see each so they can flare at each other will keep their fins strong but and keep them strong but not wear them out. I can always make something so they can't see each other but I'm hooping they'll be fine as they are. Report
August 10, 200917 yr comment_322530 Looks Great Cam :bounce: Maybe if you leave abit of a gap at the bottom of the perspex where it meets with the bottom of the Tank, you may get abit better water flow though the Tank that way. Cant wait to see it full of Fighters :bounce: I've just got a new Blue Boy and a new Red Boy, love them to bits, such Handsome Wee Fellas. I thought of leaving a gap but thought it'd be too hard as I'd probably have to glue the dividers in place (at the moment I can remove them if I want) I'll post some pics hopefully tomorrow if they arrive safely. What type are your new fighters? You should post some pics of them 8) How does the perspex stay in place? How thick is it? The perspex is 3mms. It has the middle piece that goes the length of the tank which you cut slits in it where you want to have the other dividers slide into. Then you cut slits in the center of the dividers that go from the front of the tank to the back and then slide all the pieces together and put them in the tank. It's a fairly simple design that looks really good when finished. Report
August 10, 200917 yr comment_322553 I think its a really good idea if you can get away without glue as it means that you can take out the whole lot for a really good clean when needed. It beats fiddly corners. Report
August 10, 200917 yr comment_322564 Yeah it's alot better without having them glued in because as you say you can just take them out and clean them easily. Report
August 12, 200917 yr comment_322907 Wow – great work. I have a techie/silly question tho – I'm considering doing my own type of thing like this, but, having had a go & failed miserably, am wondering how you successfully cut the perspex? Every time I tried with a little hacksaw, no matter how slow I went, it would crack and break. Report
August 12, 200917 yr comment_322908 You could always use some spacers underneath the Dividers to create a gap underneath, for better Water Flow. Report
August 12, 200917 yr comment_322928 Wow – great work. I have a techie/silly question tho – I'm considering doing my own type of thing like this, but, having had a go & failed miserably, am wondering how you successfully cut the perspex? Every time I tried with a little hacksaw, no matter how slow I went, it would crack and break. My acrylic hasn't arrived yet but maybe I'll have the same problem? It's all been cut roughly to size but I need to cut out a space in a lid for the H.O.B and may need to sand(?) down some pieces to fit inside. Report
August 12, 200917 yr comment_322931 When i last cut perspex i scored it with a strong craftknife type thing and snapped it over a straight edge like glass :lol: Report
August 12, 200917 yr comment_322932 Thanks Dixon. How much do you think it would be to get some small glass cut? Report
August 12, 200917 yr comment_322993 When i last cut perspex i scored it with a strong craftknife type thing and snapped it over a straight edge like glass :lol: Thanks for the info, that sounds like a good idea! Report
August 12, 200917 yr comment_322998 I thought I'd post some pics of some of my fighters. This is my favourite HM male I'll be breeding him with this white platnium girl once she's bigger Report
August 12, 200917 yr comment_323000 This if my favourite CT male Another CT male (I couldn't get a good pic of him as he wanted to flare at the male behind him) And a CT girl (she decided to have a fight in the bag so she's a bit nipped) Report
August 12, 200917 yr comment_323006 Those are some nice fish you have there those babies could be interesting Report
August 13, 200917 yr comment_323126 Looks really good Cam, keep up the good work, the new fighters look like they really at home. Cheers John Report
August 13, 200917 yr comment_323128 Thanks dlums. They've settled in now and the males seem to have each found a different male that they like to flare at while the blue HM tries to attack and flare at everything :-? :roll: Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.