locust breeding

herperjosh

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have just recently put the lights and heat for 24/7

i now have a self sustaining rotating amount, and i suspect, when the eggs reach critical mass, i will get a bloom once every couple of harvests so to speak.

with 24/7 lights i find the babies become adults in 2 weeks or so! i feed twice a day, each time enough to be finished in 8 hours.

i also leave a dish of bran laced with spirulina powder, as locusts accumulate astaxanthin in their flesh, limbs, exoskeleton and eyes, good for my red arowana.

as for twitching, i find that maybe they cannot thermoregulate.

maybe a part needs to be cooler?

or maybe its the grass you are feeding, poison grass?

i have just recently put the lights and heat for 24/7

i now have a self sustaining rotating amount, and i suspect, when the eggs reach critical mass, i will get a bloom once every couple of harvests so to speak.

with 24/7 lights i find the babies become adults in 2 weeks or so! i feed twice a day, each time enough to be finished in 8 hours.

i also leave a dish of bran laced with spirulina powder, as locusts accumulate astaxanthin in their flesh, limbs, exoskeleton and eyes, good for my red arowana.

as for twitching, i find that maybe they cannot thermoregulate.

maybe a part needs to be cooler?

or maybe its the grass you are feeding, poison grass?

You may be right about the thermoregulating, because the surrounding air temp is 30-35 degrees and 41% humidity there's no cooler areas anywhere.

My other thought is it could be the lights I was using for heating, they're ones used for growing plants (high powered, full spectrum) because I'm growing a large tray dandelion greens in the same place.

Maybe they couldn't take the rays they put out.

I don't measure the humidity but I suspect that may be your problem. I started getting problems when I cut down on the ventilation to save power.

+1

This happened to me I had lights on 24/7 and they couldn't cope with it so they all died. Now have 12hrs of light and havnt seen it happen again.

Wouldn't have been the light they would probably staved you need to feed them a lot more if you have light 24/7

2 weeks that's pretty quick.

I don't measure the humidity but I suspect that may be your problem. I started getting problems when I cut down on the ventilation to save power.

As stated above they are also very susceptable to traces of insecticide. No use of flyspray if inside?

Can anyone measure their humidity, I'm sure almost everyone has a humidity meter in their dragon enclosures.

I'd be interested to hear what other people are measuring at :)

They can be picky about their greens. If you have the odd weed or dandelion they usually leave it and eat right around it. Mine don't go for the lush fresh grasses you might expect either. I have been using crystal rain but I might get rid of that for a while and see what happens. Some people use vegetables such as carrot or zuchini.

They can be picky about their greens. If you have the odd weed or dandelion they usually leave it and eat right around it. Mine don't go for the lush fresh grasses you might expect either. I have been using crystal rain but I might get rid of that for a while and see what happens. Some people use vegetables such as carrot or zuchini.

Mine would quite happily eat carrot, or clover if I put it in there, but mainly just lush grass and bran was what they would stick to, did try dandelion greens but they didn't even touch them.

• 1 month later...