5ft african tank photos- new pics added 25/09/09

spoon

DSC01595.jpg

still a bit cloudy but all my fish are in there and loving it

tank is 5ftx2ftx2ft so 530l before anything went into it but considerably less now the background is in

i built the hood myself it houses a 150w 10k metal halide. filtration is 1 cf2200 and a jebo 819 filled with course calcite and dolomite sand for some buffering the outlet of this runs a small fluidised bed filter before returning to the tank .

there is a 3000lph wavemaker running in the top right hand corner this agitates the surface so i get nice ripples of light across the bottom the heater is hidden behind the backgrond with the filter intakes its a jager 300w.

heres some pics of the fish not the best photos as i havent cleaned the outside of tank and the cloudy water .

DSC01601.jpg

lionhead male ,big electric yellow male, small nimbochromis livingstonii , some kribs and an unknown peacock

DSC01603.jpg

red shoulder peacock male , sunshine peacock male, kadango male, big yellow again

DSC01606.jpg

red shoulder , kadango no 2 , blue melanochromis (johanni or maingano?), male auratus, male jewel , male convict

ps this is what happened to the old cichlid tank(which yes i only set up ealier this year)

newgoldfishtank.jpg

Looking good :) I have tried kribs in my african tanks and they didn't last though :( The livingstonii will certainly think of them as a nice snack when he gets a bit bigger so would watch them..

they aren't being bothered at the moment by anything , but yes im keeping a eye on them it tends to be the blue melanochromis that does the damage also sometimes the dominant kadango but they only pick on my peacocks ! , the 1s i have at the moment are holding up well fingers crossed ive got a prime pink and a marble peacock that didnt make the photos since ive added them the chasing isnt directed at the 1 fish . i understand the livingsonii will get huge will have to keep an eye on his temperament , ive also got 2 malawi eyebiters that will get rather large too! but i have to say my favourite fish of the lot is the red shoulder i found him listed as a blue zebra on tm, he was in a rio 180 with a small oscar and a convict and a jewel which where all scared of him!

• 1 month later...

yep got a cheap wavemaker , the MH is a 14000K 150w and im running two 28w blue tubes i will get around to taking photos without flash in next few days. the fry are some aulonocara marlieri that i brought: light coloured ones are male, the darker ones are female bigger males soon to colour up

mh and blue tubes (bare in mind in my eye it looks a lot brighter than in the photos these are the ones with out flash and in a dark room.

also bare in mind the blue tubes are shop fitting tubes not marine blues, the signifigant difference being no UV output. but a similar colour.

002-1.jpg

14000k mh only no blue tubes, you can see the difference in the blue colour on the fish it stands out more in the first photo

003-2.jpg

this photo is blue tubes going only it appears to be a lot darker than what it is in real life , to me these tubes in this wattage on this tank would be overkill for just a moonlight effect. the red part is a reflection.

005-2.jpg

as for the light ripple effect of the metal halides its hard to capyure with a photo could try a short video if somebody wants to see it just let me know

oh and p.s. im pretty sure the plant is a sagiteria of some sort :wink: but i dont want to be corrected if its not