Rescaped tank ideas? (Pictures)

SamH

See in the second pic where the side is slightly lower than the front and the silicone is thicker, if you have the thin blade, slide it in there parallel to the bracing (as in the blade is horizontal). Wait until you get the thinner blade not your craft knife, it is too thick and will get stuck.

What you want is a blade thin enough to slip between the two layers of glass and go through the silicone.

As Barrie suggested, get two, because one usually gets jammed, so use it as a wedge and carry on with the other one.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yay! Progress! :bounce:

I used that "manky old" craft knife and cut between the brace and the tank on the front right hand side. The blade slipped into silicone and I just pulled it through. Can't find any other spaces big enough but will try again later. Will have to get a thinner blade also.

Ahh, teenagers - not renowned for listening or reading, as you know Barrie :wink:

For a moment there I thought we would have to post a video on how to do it for him, but hopefully he's got the idea now, either that or he has no fingers left and cannot post anymore!

I got all the bracing off! It looks super neat! TY guys.

Now I went to move the Rams and Ottos back in (they won't jump out, right?) but felt the water thanfully and it was 10 degrees! Heater plug wasn't quite pushed in and it hadn't been running :evil: It's heating up now though, hoping to get them in by this evening. On top of that, the female fighter I had tried to spawn kept burrying herself under the pebbles and drowning herself and one of the Ottos in the net breeder got his mouth caught on the net. I had to hold him and cut the net around him, I hope he's gunna be okay :-?

(I typed with my stumps I used to call fingers) :lol:

If I wanted to make a sump for this tank, would this work?

Powerheadsump.jpg

The idea is to have the sucking end of powerhead attached to a tube inside the aquarium. Then having the powerhead in the sump. The outlet tube would be connected to the blowing/pushing end of the powerhead. If there are no holes in the pipe, it should just draw water from one end, and put it out the other. But if there were holes in the in and out tubes inside the sump, would the water be expelled and drawn inside the sump?

Just throwing some ideas around,

Thanks.

Go with acrylic, you just need two long pieces to create a box in the corner of the tank, and silicone them in, then you can use a dremel or whatever if you didnt cut them the right height.

Id be inclined to have a shelf a few inches from the top of the overflow box, enough to sit a decent sponge on for a prefilter :)

Got some shelving gear yesterday and put it in the wall, almost not worth the effort. We tried to find the beams but failed msierabley several times. Finally got them in but now I need to move them tank over about a foot and a half :x

So I'm thinking I take out the fish and float them in another tank, drain as much water as will fit into a 9ltr and 12ltr bucket, drain the rest out and dump it, take out the drawers, slide them along, replace water, wait, replace fish.

That sound right?

Sounds right, but you might be better off getting a bigger bucket or something, maybe do it instead of a WC, just to make it not quite as heavy (i.e full 2 buckets up, empty most of the water out, move, fill back up with buckets, stick fish in, fill back up with 9lter bucket every 30min or so :D)

Uh-oh. The heater was unplugged again, this time there were fish in the tank. I don't know how it keeps popping ougt but it does. The fish seem fine though, it dropped to 16 degrees.

I'm planning on moving the tank today once the temp pops back up. First I'll put the fish into an icecream container and float them in another tank. Remove some water into the 12L bucket and use the 9L bucket to dispose of all water but the last 9L. Then I'll remove the drawers, push the unit along and fill it back up with the saved water and some tap water. Wait until it decloudyfies and heats up, then replace the fish.

Oh, and hang the lights up while I wait :bounce: