Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Low pH

Featured Replies

Hi all

Lately I have been noticing that my tank keeps reverting to pH of about 6.0, possibly even slightly lower.

Fish don't seem to mind too much but just wondering if it's something I should be worried about and if there is anything I should be doing.

I am pretty sure that it is due to the large piece of wood that I have in the tank. I do 20% water changes weekly but it doesnt seem to make much of a difference. I also have some pH up but dont want to add stuff to the tank thats not essential if ya get what I mean.

Thoughts??

I had a similar problem with 1 of my 950L tanks. I was doing 50% weekly water changes but the PH always dropped to 4.3 in 7 days. I thought it was the drift wood also untill I removed the inhabitants (2 Oscars 8 Bala and an Arrowana) the problem disappeared,I put it down to big poopers.

What's your ammonia like?

I would think it's something to do with the amount of waste being produced vs your filtration/bacteria.

  • Author

Cheers for the responses so far.

Ammonia is coming up at very close to nil, maybe 0.1 at most.

Did remove a fair few poos from the tank this weekend though. Have a GBA about 5inches long who knows how to do them :lol:

Carryl - tank is 120ltr so not huge

Has the following fish

2 x small blue rams

2 x GBA (1 of which is 5inches)

6 x neons

6 x rummy nose

4 x glowlight danio

2 x dwarf chain loaches

I assume the tap water pH is higher? Have you tried sitting a tap water sample overnight then testing the pH again?

My thought too was you had big fish in there and it was their wastes causing the drop but they aren't big fish.

  • Author

Yep tap water about 7.0 - 7.2. Tested it as I was doubting my test kit for a wee while.

Will stand some tap water overnight and test it tomorrow

  • Author

How do I go about that Phoenix. Have never really bothered with water hardness / softness before.

Are they any recommended articles that I should read on this subject?

  • Author

Yep I know. Had done a few searches on this site (with more meaningful results than 'raising kh') and also elsewhere.

Was just keen to hear if anyone had any recommended articles on the subject.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.