HOWDY! ONE MORE ROOKIE UNTO THE FORUM DEAR FRIENDS!

PALUDARIUM PRINCE

Howdy! Having trawled this forum long enough, it seems the customary thing to say gidday & introduce & say stuff about self. I have kept fish on & off since 19mumble cough. I've been a member of the Wellington club for the best part of 20ish years. Seems my hobby goes through cycles, I imagine some of you can identify with this?

Occassionally I feel the pull towards Tropical Marine, but I take a Disprin & the feeling goes away,(The costs oh heck! More stuff to learn! FRAG!). Marine keepers please don't take any of that, the wrong way.

I stay with freshwater tropical as I need to express/release my inner fish nutter through Aquascaping but mostly because seeing Takashi Amano's work taught me that there is no need for me to feel like my hobby has plateaued. There are no limits. I certainly have room to improve & still have lots to learn. My artistry is only as limited as my ability to see, appreciate,be inspired by, replicate, learn. Hopefully, one day I may get to inspire. I get a kick from seeing children pick up this hobby & keep it alive for the generations to come. Is that bad?

I hate to think of a world in which the ever growing electronic interactive media destroys the human soul for expressive creativity through such art forms and the word hobby has gone down the gurglar!

Sorry ...I went on a bit...but that seems fitting knowing me. :oops:

Takashi Amano's works restarted the pulse in my fish keeping & gave me new direction. :o:hail: :bounce:

I have bred Siamese Fighting fish in the past. I intend to again but when??

I presently keep 2 Paludariums A 2 ft & a 3 ft. I am painfully aware that I have spelt Paludarium incorrectly in my signature & would really appreciate it if the spelling could be corrected buy you peep's with control please???

I do keep 1 other 6 ft Aquarium. Loads of tanks in storage! Hmmmm

Cheers PP

Takashi Amano's works restarted the pulse in my fish keeping & gave me new direction.

you and I shall get on just fine :D :lol:

welcome to the forums!

I get a kick from seeing children pick up this hobby & keep it alive for the generations to come. Is that bad?

now let me tell you a story- I once sold a goldfish to a lovely lady and her young daughter. I was slightly worried when the lady asked me what she should give the fish to drink :o , needless to say I convinced her that living in water was all the fish needed. However I did not expect what was about to happen.

The next day the lady comes to me like a pit bull charging a kitten, demanding I give her the money back as i sold her a defective fish - looking at the frozen, scale less, mangled body of the fish I looked at her in horror and asked what happened.

"Its dead she said, and now my daughter has gone off animals for life, and I want my money back" I think she presumed that my brain cell was not fully functional that day. But never-the-less I played along and found out that the dear daughter had decided to give her pet goldfish a bath - in the kitchen sink, with hot water, a scouring pad and detergent.

It appears I overlooked telling her that they not only lived in the water, but did not need to have a bath. :o

and so now, when a child asks me about keeping goldfish, I put my usual cynical hat on and trot on ha ha :D

Welcome welcome! Can't wait to see see pictures of your landscaping projects :) Since I don't have the time/money for more then one little tank at the moment, I like to live vicariously through others :D

and hilarious story Phoenix!

Now, now Sam, just because it took you ages to work out that the red writing in the orange box at the top of this forum was not put there just for you because you thought you had done something wrong! :wink:

Welcome! I'm also a huge fan of Mr Amano (aren't we all?) I could sit and look at one of his tanks for hours. Days. Weeks. Years! :hail::hail::hail:

Ont he other hand I also know my limitations (and love my clown loaches too much) so I tend to aim for the dutch-style look in my own tank. But that won't stop me drooling every time I see a pic of an Amano tank. :bounce: :bounce:

Now Phoenix, was that story about the goldfish really true?! :o If so, I will have to revise my estimation of how truely stupid people can be. Please tell me you made it up. :o

Thanks for the welcome Peep's.

Thanks Zev for the typo correction. Nice to not have to jump through hoops! You're beautiful!

Thanks for the advice and reminder re rules SamH. Issues hmmm?

Don't have digi camera at the moment. I may have to call in some favours to remedy this. Pending that though I'll show you my tanks if you show me yours. Think of it as a show of good faith err.

Phoenix I have worked in the aquatic retail sphere & I believe your story a sad truth had us rolling round. That mother has deep seated issues from her own childhood. Guessing these played out again through her daughter. What manner of beast is Rusty?

What do you, Phoenix & Livingart, keep & under what conditions?

I hope to meet some of you some time but for now this will have to do.

PP

Thanks again for the hearty welcome chaps & chapettes!

Hope I may be of some assistance.

Billaney, thanks for rising to the occasion with photo's. I hope others will follow suit. I consider this approach the best. I shall go have a look at them now.

PP :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Hi & welcome!

WOW a 6' tank...*sits here and dreams*. Anyway will be looking forward to a picture. I am terrible at aquascaping plus I don't keep real plants either :-?

phoenix wrote:

was slightly worried when the lady asked me what she should give the fish to drink

OH my gosh, and I thought when I started I knew nothing :o But was truly sad what happened to the poor fish :(

Take care & have fun,

Caper

Hi all. Some of you requested to see photo's of my tanks. Pulled a few favours to get a friend to take these as I have no digi camera at the moment.

Only my 6ft tank at the moment. This is not a "for display" tank as such. It had to be thrown together over night due to my previous 240 litre tank developing a crack in December 2007. It has been running with the odd plants & fish changed/added here & there since then.

The tank needs a weed eater run through it as things are a bit over run in places but hopefully you get the general idea.

Hope you like it.

PP

fush8small.jpg

fush2small.jpg

fush3small.jpg

Yes, I just needed a bit of help... that's all. :oops:

If you like Amano's work then take a look at the AGA website. Some truly amazing tanks in their contest section. http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2009.cgi

Here's some of my favourites from last years competition:

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2 ... ol=0&id=62

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2 ... l=0&id=175

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2 ... ol=0&id=91

BTW, your tank looks wicked, don't be so modest. 8)

awesome stuff. i think ill post a pic of my old planted tank, and one of how it is now.

Hi phoenix44.

Thanks for the thumbs up! Please do drop me some pic's of your tank or tanks. Always wanting to view other peoples work....hmmm doesn't sound right to call this work though does it. Present day photo's would be good to. Same goes to anybody out there prepared to share.

Ciao PP

hi P2ed.

here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=39918&start=15

about halfway down the page

Now listen here winged warrior.....Nice effort. Did I see. Blue rams? Tiger Lotus also viewed from above, nice touch by the way. Thinking outside the tank err square/rectangular thing...you know what I mean.

By the way Rusty is I take it your bird. Rainbow lori right? But a hybrid err?? If so what with??

P2d