DOA fish from lfs - refunds?

twinkles

I bought a pair of fish yesterday, from a tank of sick looking fishies, and one of them died 2 hours after purchase. I know i shouldn't have bought sick fish but i felt so sorry for them and really wanted them, and picked the healthiest 2. Anyway do you think its worth trying to get a refund/replacement? I can't take the dead fish back in myself because i'm back in taumarunui and fish is in auckland, but i could get someone else to take it in...

Depends on the store it is a dodgy one as you could have done something wrong to cause the fish to die even in the 2 hours of having it.. As you said you shouldn't have brought fish that looked sick but sometimes you do give it a go and try and nurse them back to health usually it doesn't work :( Good luck I would give the shop a call and have a chat with the manager :)

The fish store shouldnt have been selling fish from the tank in the first place if they had any sort of credability most fish stores i go to put a sign on the tank saying none are for sale untill the problem has been resolved.But in saying that i look carefully before i buy as its not worth risking all your healthy fish for a new purchase.

I rang and they said if i'd brought it straight back in they would have swapped it, but not the next day. Nevermind, lesson learnt. Although the other one is looking very happy now and has coloured up heaps, he must be pleased with his new tank all to himself. He's in quarintene for a while anyway :)

is there any ICH cure that is colourless?

The reason I asked , is I was at a store last weekend and noticed a Betta covered in ICH. He was in tank full of neons.

When I asked the staff member about it , she said they had "cure" in the tank.

But I thought most meds coloured the water? this was still very clear and he was still in with all the neons.

is there any ICH cure that is colourless?

The reason I asked , is I was at a store last weekend and noticed a Betta covered in ICH. He was in tank full of neons.

When I asked the staff member about it , she said they had "cure" in the tank.

But I thought most meds coloured the water? this was still very clear and he was still in with all the neons.

salt works wonders.

I know about salt.. but she said "cure" .

When I first asked about it I said "betta" yes I pronounced "better" .. and she said "the what??" .. then I said the blue simaese fighter fish at the end with the neons ..

oh it's got cure medicine in the tank,

so i don't think she used salt...

When a fish dies I always take it on the nose. As has been said, there is no control over what happens to the fish once it leaves the store. Your cat could knock the plug and disconnect the heater and they could die overnight. There is really no way for the shop to know so I take the responsibility upon myself once I walk out the door. I think often you are more likely to get a slightly less fit or more sick fish from any given tank as most times the sick fish won't escape the net as well at a fit healthy fish...

Whitespot cure is pretty colourless, especially if it has been in the tank a few days.

Quite surprising to hear that most shops dont offer some health guarentee, what if they know they have dodgy stock but shift them out the door quick? My local offers a 24 hour guarentee subject to acceptable tank mates and water tests, sometimes its just goodwill if you are a regular.

2tsp salt per US gallon.

2tsp per 3.75L.

Turn your temp up 1*C per day until you reach 30*C.

Treat for 2 weeks.

Watch closely for signs of fish stress and slow the temp rise.

IME add salt using an airline hose from a bucket over 3 days.

So drain out 1/3 of the tank, add 1/3 total salt and drain back in slowly. (or 30-40L)

Add salt to new water when you are doing water change.

Then take two weeks after dosing to reduce the salt levels.

Fish acclimatise easily but reducing the chemistry hardness (terminology???) shoudl be slower.