sending plants

Whiskas

i put them in a fish bag with the tiniest amount of water, and then tie up the bag so it has a lot of air in it and is tightly packed.

then put it in a box and send it NZ wide for $7.50

you can also send it in a courier bag for $6 but make sure you tie the bag well so it does not come undone and wet the poor courier dude and all his packages.

I send mine in damp newspaper then a fish bag, sealed well and then packaged in our thick brown paper, or chinese food containers in fish bag is good too.

I had Indian Fern arrive the other week in filter wool and then a plastic bag and although they only took a day, they all died. They were already browned when they arrived and just faded away.

I bag them with air and a teaspoon of water then double bag them. Place them in a carton and send fastpost. Fast post is between $3 and $4.50 depending on size but you need to cut the box down to less than 70mm and it takes 1-2 days instead of 3-5.

Exactly how I do it.

Never had one leak or damaged plants yet.

Indian fern is likely to go mushy due to the cold. Its a fragile plant at the best of times. Thats how it spreads, breaks of and grows another plant.

• 5 months later...
i put them in a fish bag with the tiniest amount of water, and then tie up the bag so it has a lot of air in it and is tightly packed.

then put it in a box and send it NZ wide for $7.50

you can also send it in a courier bag for $6 but make sure you tie the bag well so it does not come undone and wet the poor courier dude and all his packages.

sorry to dig up an old post but sort of size box as I sent a ice cream container to wellington and it cost $14.70!!!

Fastpost is cheaper if you cut the carton down to a size that makes them happy. They have a free handout at the post office that gives you the sizes (but not prices) so if you ask the prices and right them down you will be onto it in the new year. Overnight courier is quicker but dearer so it depends what you are sending. If you don't write it all over the package they will not know and therefore will not worry. Plants and livestock are not permitted articles by post so you have no claim if it goes missing anyway.