Metro & Prazi

Mel

Anyone in the palmerston north area know of a vet that will give me metro & prazi

And what is the correct name of the medications i am to ask for?

I thought it was about time I got some just in case I needed it - so it's on hand

Hi Mel,

I have just been through this hole rig ma roll, with the Vet here in Levin, I tell you what a long road to hoe, after about a month I finally got there :wink:

Picked up my Metro yesterday, proper Name for it is: Metronidazole 400mg Tablets is what you will be needing if it's for your Discus.

Dosage is: 1 x 400 mg Tablet per 40 Ltrs of Water.

Tablet must be crushed and dissolved in water before adding to your Tank, I was warned to wear gloves as this medication is Carcenogenic, and to dispose of the Treated Water with Care.

Prazi is Droncit, (NOT DRONTAL) you can get these at the Vets too, this is a Worming Treatment for Cats and Dogs, I had no trouble getting 10 of these tablets over the Counter :D

Good Luck :wink:

As above. Both are cheap as chips. Prazi (dronsit) about 75c per tab and avaibale over the counter, metro is even cheaper but harder to get.

If you talk to a vet he may write a prescription and get it from a pharmacy for you. I had to fill in a form so he wasnt liable for misuse of metro.

Metronidazole = Metra Nigh Da Zole

Praziquantel = Prazee Kwon Till

Thanks guys. :bow::bow:

I've been following your post Lyndyloo and have seen the problems you've had getting metro, so thats whats made me think I NEED to get it now just incase I ever need it in a hurry :roll: fingers crossed I won't though.

No they need to be put in a sepereate Tank Mel.

Discsuguru has told me to treat for 6 Doses so 6 Tablets :wink:

Not sure on the Doseage for Prazi, think Flosty posted it on my Thread somewhere, if you want to look back or maybe do a search on his posts.

I was warned to wear gloves as this medication is Carcenogenic, and to dispose of the Treated Water with Care.

:

Who told you that??? If it's the vet, :evil: you better find another vet cause he/she obviously know nothing about medicine.

Metro is an antibiotic and human consume them too. Very good for gum problem.

Hey Ron,

Yes, the Vet told me to wear gloves, he was also very concerned about me touching this Metro and how I was going to dispose of the water that had had the Metro in it.

Well lets face it, it has taken me nearly a month to get hold of this Metro, and I have know idea why it has taken so darn long, no sure if the Vet I was dealing with is incompotent or not.

I'm sure I wouldn't have had all this hassle if I had talked to my normal Vet, but because this Vet has Fish himself they put me onto him.

Hey Ron,

Yes, the Vet told me to wear gloves, he was also very concerned about me touching this Metro and how I was going to dispose of the water that had had the Metro in it.

Well lets face it, it has taken me nearly a month to get hold of this Metro, and I have know idea why it has taken so darn long, no sure if the Vet I was dealing with is incompotent or not.

I'm sure I wouldn't have had all this hassle if I had talked to my normal Vet, but because this Vet has Fish himself they put me onto him.

When I had that accident on my face, the dentist took out 2 teeth and did root canal on 3 other. Guess what he prescribe me? yes! Metronidazole 400mg. He was explaining the metro to me and I ask him whether it's the same stuff I use for the discus because I have 100 tabs at home. He laugh and says of course you'll have them at home :lol: He's one of the forum member here too. It does make you very hungry after taking them :D

You don't have to wear glove.

p44's gross tip of the day - some gynaecologists prescribe metronidazole gel to erm... how can i put this - patients that need it for various reasons :o :lol:

rest assured if he has prescribed the correct metro - (and im unsure if there is another) then it is safe.

Your Vet has no idea

Metro is safe

Flagyll is what its called when going to the dentist

Or if you have gut problems the doc can prescribe it too

Also it dissapates out of the water within 12-24 hours

Plus its removed quicker if the tank is lit

So Dark tanks treat to work better

Brad

Well I'm amased that the people on here seem to know more about the Metro than the Vet :o

I will have a few words to him and ask him where he gets his info from :roll:

I've done a google search on Metro and it is used for Dental Problems, and Mainly Gynae problems.

I'm abit peeved that I have been given this info from the Vet and it's not correct, He was very concerned that I didn't know how to use it and what doses I needed to be using, but on the other hand he doesn't even know what he was talking about. :evil:

Trichozole and Flagyl are both trade names for metronidazole.

Vets tend to be quite concerned when dealing with areas they are not experienced in. I'm not saying the vets recommendations were right or wrong, just pointing out that it is an area of risk for them. They have a fairly hefty weight of responsibility when prescribing drugs and put themselves at risk when they are not too sure of the disease etc.

Ideally this is the time to brush up your knowledge or refer to another vet, but that's not always possible.

Metronidazole is listed as a potential carcinogen, so the vet was not being excessive recommending gloves are used. However it is a low risk, and like others have mentioned it is a fairly commonly prescribed human medication. It is prescribed where benefits outweigh the risk, the benefits of clearing up an infected root canal outweigh the slight possibility of increased risk of cancer. But risk should be avoided where possible - eg many countries have banned the use of metronidazole in food producing animals as it is an unnecessary risk.

Also there is a slight chance you may develop skin irritation from contact - unlikely but possible.

It's just about bottom (don't know if I can use the other word?) covering. Vets with fish knowledge are hard to find, so it pays to hang on to their number when you find one.