Ideas and help needed in setting up a new Discuss tank

Tofigh

Hi Guys ad Girls.

I am settin up my new Discus tank and I need some advice on what type of pebbles to use in the tank. I want to set it up with lots of plants and it is a large tank 2.5 meters.

Any advise or pictures to help with the decisssion or where I can get the bepples at a good price will be appritiated.

Thanks in advance

TA :bounce:

Have you had discus before? I use daltons propagating sand as the base of my planted discus tank and it seems to work well. Too fine a sand will clog the filters as the tank needs to be kept clean with regular water changes and vacuuming stirs up any loose matter on the base of the tank. Heres a pic to give you some idea of what it looks like. The colours of the fish will stand out more depending on what colour plants you put in and the lighting on the tank.

discusparttank.jpg

tankjan09.jpg

Have you had discus before? I use daltons propagating sand as the base of my planted discus tank and it seems to work well. Too fine a sand will clog the filters as the tank needs to be kept clean with regular water changes and vacuuming stirs up any loose matter on the base of the tank. Heres a pic to give you some idea of what it looks like. The colours of the fish will stand out more depending on what colour plants you put in and the lighting on the tank.

If you vacuum it doesn't it suck up the sand as well?

Thanks for the feedback from all. Yes I have had discuss but I have had them in a tank without any sand or plans. As this is going to be a display tank I want to have the sand.

once the plants have established themselves, how do you clean the tank without disturbing the roots?

• 2 weeks later...