Snails everywhere!!! how to get rid of them?

Gila_fish

Ok. I've reach them point where i bleeched my tank ( mind you i treated the plants as well ). I annihilated most of the plants, i bleech and treated the drift wood and the river stones but them snails keep returning! If you help me i will be very much obliged.

Cheers

A slow but tediuos way is to crush the adults and let your fish feed on them, but as said in many other forums, you can place a rock or flast peice of driftwood in your tank and then the snails will congregate under tis and then you remove it wash it off outside and place it back in the tank for the next lot.

Relax, forget about them, become a buddist and be one with all animals.

Buy a puffer, skunk loaches (both can be nippy), or just about any type of loach. Also depends on the type of snail. What do they look like?

Also predators don't kill them all. They just make them hide.

An old guy told me, years ago, that if you use a 9v battery with copper wire attachements that will kill snails. You can put one wire in each end of the tank and one end will bubble and turn green. I never tried it as I thought it cant be good for fish due to the current and the copper oxidation. Perhaps someone more scientific than me can give views on this method?

I prefer the loach method myself.

From experience, DO NOT USE THIS METHOD.

I always like to go one step further, and thought, right, if 12 volts can kill snails, 240 will do a better job, I know DUM and DUMBER

But the snails died and so did my scaless fish.

From the oxidization of the copper.

Now we all know that copper kills snails, but in most setups, too heavy a dose, isn't good for the rest of the inhabitants.

Try a piece of lettuce, weighted with lead around the stem, attach a string to the lead for removal of the trap and lead. The lettuce provides food for the fish and snails

I set this method overnight, and remove it in the morning, carefully, and dip the trap into VERY salty water. This kills the snails almost instantly, and then if there is enuff bait left, reset it, or replace the lettuce.

Cost ZILTCH

Success, HUGE

Snail population, LOW.

Alan 104