How do YOU keep male fighter fry?

SamH

I've seen adodges coke bottle setup. It looks great! She keeps a little gravel in each one to stop it floating about and has them all lined up in a big tank.

The tops are cut off and the holes allow water flow.

She can rotate the bottles around and bring them to the front for viewing or move close together to get them flaring without having to remove any fish at all.

Great set up.

I'm setting up a bottle setup for my babies too (although they are barely visible lol). I used 3L orange juice bottles cut off where they start to taper, then drilled tiny holes in the bottom to let water and mulm through, and drilled 2 bigger holes in one side near the top. From the $2 shop clear plastic suction cup-hooks go through the bigger holes. This means I can suspend the bottles above the bottom which makes it easy to vacuum whatever falls through. The heater goes below the bottles and I made a wee airpowered filter myself out of a vitamin bottle (yes I am cheap). 8 bottles fit in a 45cm tank with room to manouevre. Have test-driven with my dad fighter and he blew bubbles so i guess he liked it. Certainly roomier than a fry isolater.

here you are

malestankshot.jpg

I can get 50 bottles in at a pinch and depending on how many bottles depends on how many filters I run to keep the water circulating. Holes down the sides of the bottles and in the bottom.

To clean lift the bottle up and down a couple of times and the muck drops out and goes up the filters.

here you are

malestankshot.jpg

I can get 50 bottles in at a pinch and depending on how many bottles depends on how many filters I run to keep the water circulating. Holes down the sides of the bottles and in the bottom.

To clean lift the bottle up and down a couple of times and the muck drops out and goes up the filters.

nice setup :P

wouldnt mind doing something similar for my growout tanks once setup in my fish room..

seems easier than doing seperate tank water changes all day every day

even the aqua one setup is rather labour intensive!

personally i think those aqua one ones are way too small, bearly enough room for a juvinile let alone an adult. good concept, poor execution

My bottles only hold just under 1.5 litres each so not much space either although if the fish is a big mature male I go to the bigger sized container so its much the same concept as the aqua one although I have a lot better water circulation and filtering in the big tank. In the wild betta don't have much water to swim in. The difference in the wild is that they don't share the same water in the way that these do and having a lot of fish in the same water can increase the risk of disease etc. I think thats why some people prefer to keep them in individual containers. You have better control over disease although it comes at the cost of increased time maintaining the water quality.

For me, what I have suits as I work fulltime and have three children who I still have to taxi around to a certain extent.

BTW its nice to see enough people on here in this section so that we can have a discussion about fighters and keeping them :D Its been a long time with only 2-3 of us really interested in fighters :D:D :bounce: