Import restrictions...Grump Grump

phrog

Hey everyone, I've noticed that there are a few discussions to do with imports and the various restrictions and stuff. SOOOOOO.......I've made this topic as a dumping place for all ideas, speculations and thoughts on the importation/exportation of animals, native wildlife permits and so on. I'll start:

I'm annoyed :x that I cant import like real awesome frogs and stuff like poison darts, red eyes and whites tree frog if they've actually been confiscated :evil: I would love to have a red eye or two, they are the coolest things :lol: :D

Hey everyone, I've noticed that there are a few discussions to do with imports and the various restrictions and stuff. SOOOOOO.......I've made this topic as a dumping place for all ideas, speculations and thoughts on the importation/exportation of animals, native wildlife permits and so on. I'll start:

I'm annoyed :x that I cant import like real awesome frogs and stuff like poison darts, red eyes and whites tree frog if they've actually been confiscated :evil: I would love to have a red eye or two, they are the coolest things :lol: :D

The truth is this. it is simple but shocking.

MAF has NO (nada, nil, zero, zilch) knowledge of what was imported into the country legally...even though most of those import forms are in at least triplicate...they did not keep copies. This means that to avoid people realising what turkeys they are they will poo-poo any ideas to legimately import reptile or amphibian species. If it is a warm and fluffy cat, aka bird exterminator then no worries matey. If you are into reptiles or frogs then you do not want to be in NZ...we are the laughing stock of the western world when it comes to herpetology. There are valid reasons to restrict/seriously monitor the importation of frogs, i.e: chytrid fungus, however the current regime does not have enough expertise/intelligence to regulate this in a responsible manner...so in short: until labotomies are free to MAF employees or enough people jump up and down to make MAF change their stance then you will have no joy.

Move to OZ, responsible regulations and no small d--k syndrome with the authorities. Look me up when u are there, lol.

Maybe a kinda aggressive statement to this point, but it is TRUE.

The whole iguana thing is proof..make up that the igs have a strain of salmonella and pretend it is not in the country, then use this to class them as unwanted orgs...but first allow them to be sold for 6 months then come down hard..just to make sure you cause as much grief as possible, but its ok..we are a government agency so we are right. Anyone seen those docs for the igs that were legally imported??? No?? Oh look, here's one stapled to the back of Napier Aq's Zoo licence...why don't we have a copy? Oh well....you get the drift.

The only justice is the salaries these guys get...you pay peanuts, lol:)

Deep dark holes? Already there so I can say the truth, and it is the truth:()

The truth is this. it is simple but shocking.

MAF has NO (nada, nil, zero, zilch) knowledge of what was imported into the country legally...even though most of those import forms are in at least triplicate...they did not keep copies. This means that to avoid people realising what turkeys they are they will poo-poo any ideas to legimately import reptile or amphibian species. If it is a warm and fluffy cat, aka bird exterminator then no worries matey. If you are into reptiles or frogs then you do not want to be in NZ...we are the laughing stock of the western world when it comes to herpetology. There are valid reasons to restrict/seriously monitor the importation of frogs, i.e: chytrid fungus, however the current regime does not have enough expertise/intelligence to regulate this in a responsible manner...so in short: until labotomies are free to MAF employees or enough people jump up and down to make MAF change their stance then you will have no joy.

Move to OZ, responsible regulations and no small d--k syndrome with the authorities. Look me up when u are there, lol.

Maybe a kinda aggressive statement to this point, but it is TRUE.

The whole iguana thing is proof..make up that the igs have a strain of salmonella and pretend it is not in the country, then use this to class them as unwanted orgs...but first allow them to be sold for 6 months then come down hard..just to make sure you cause as much grief as possible, but its ok..we are a government agency so we are right. Anyone seen those docs for the igs that were legally imported??? No?? Oh look, here's one stapled to the back of Napier Aq's Zoo licence...why don't we have a copy? Oh well....you get the drift.

The only justice is the salaries these guys get...you pay peanuts, lol:)

Deep dark holes? Already there so I can say the truth, and it is the truth:()

Do you know if monitors were imported legally back in the day varanophile? heard there were some lacies over here being bred still? :D

Iszac

Do you know if monitors were imported legally back in the day varanophile? heard there were some lacies over here being bred still? :D

Iszac

to my knowledge the only lacies here legally are the ones that were at Akl zoo... but who knows. It is more tham likely that Varanus acanthurus were bought in legally...although the lack of permits that MAF has means proofing this is very difficult. Moa's in Gore? I thought the KFC dowmn there tasted better than usual....

i wonder if maf will ever realise? that there could be some big money in this? strickt import regs... expensive licences... regulation standards??? all this generates money!!!

if one person paid say $100 per imported reptile per year then think of the revenue if say 10,000 people owned that type of reptile? and most people just dont keep one reptile? they may have a pair or a breeding room with 10 pairs???

If MAF sat down with people who know there stuff then we could have a list like we do with tropical fish by dinner?!!!?

Monitors where here and held by a number ...eh ehmmm ...but those that are not in containment facilities are no longer allowed.

Containment facilities are not allowed to bring in new stock.

Bit like shinglebacks, leopards (either sort), Day Geckos et al

As previously stated at one time you could hold which ever you wanted.

what is truely here and what is "allowed" shall alwasy be two different reallities due to a number of factors.

For Better Or for Worse it is a diapointment you are going V

Navarre

to my knowledge the only lacies here legally are the ones that were at Akl zoo... but who knows. It is more tham likely that Varanus acanthurus were bought in legally...although the lack of permits that MAF has means proofing this is very difficult. Moa's in Gore? I thought the KFC dowmn there tasted better than usual....

Sombody was asking what the ratio of m-f per clutch, wondering weather it was worth buying some coz were real expensive... was afew years ago tho

ackies are probly one on my favs anyway, easy to keep, nice colours, dont get too big

img1046q.th.jpg little fellas just asleep btw

So you're really off to oz?! Can't say I blame you, we would probably be in the UK right now if it weren't for the recession (other half is an accountant, and apparently there's no jobs for them over there now). Henward said you've sold all the leps, have you got much else left?

All the best, make sure you send us some pics to make us jealous!! :wink:

cheers dude...leps locked up in a vault...don't like your signature quote much..."I fought the law and the law won" lol:)

prefer I fought the law and they can shove it up their...