now can this be true help....

fishoramalama

its sounds odd but one of my good mates just got a pleco hes about 5cm long was with him when we picked him/her up.

now she put him in with a male an female betta, just been to around to see how he was getting on an he is died.... she thinks the betta has beaten him up.. now i havent the clue on this since i dont have a pleco. but can this happen??

Let's see...Throw a new fish in a tank that only had two fish known for being extremely territorial and fighting to the death, and you're asking if maybe they killed the new fish?:)

Yes, it's possible, it would be pretty clear if the bettas killed it. I'm surprised the male and female fighter didn't kill each other first though.

are there any wounds on the fish to suggest it's be beaten though?

Did your friend aclimatise the pleco to the new water properly?

yeah he had marks on his back an side i checked it out for my self... yeh hes been in the tank for about 5 days now well what would have been 5 days

lol nah the male has killed a few females in the past :-?

ok so it is possible i dont know i have always just had my betta by himself.... but im so going to give my mate a call now

thanks for that :D

Also tell him he shouldn't have a male and female together unless he wants to keep replacing them too.

I found these replies most interesting as I wasn't aware a betta would find a bottom dwelling fish a threat. I have never kept bettas so don't know too much about them but I thought they only attacked other bettas, or fish that were a similar shape. :-?

I had a very bossy bristlenose that was bothering the kuhlis so he was moved to the tank with my Betta. Now it is he who is being bossed about.

The betta doesn't hurt him but does come and exert his authority and sometimes flares. The BN raises all his fins and tries to flare back and then moves away.

The BN is a bit shier now than he used to be but he was terrifying the kuhlis so it's just desserts!

the new BN i have with the kuhlis is not a problem at all and they don't mind each other.

• 4 weeks later...

Geesh, learn something new all the time here! I didn't know that betta's would eat neons and guppies (excluding the fact that some fish will eat anything it can fit in its mouth!). I thought I had read before that they would go after guppies because of the long tails, so I guess sort of what you were saying Caryl going after fish that were similar to themselves!

Caper

my bettas (female & males) will eat neon tetras and guppys (and even female guppys so its not the males pretty tales they're after).

i have also had one or two eyeless tetras thanks to a big male plakat we have.

I had a male fighter for a while, he sucked 1 eye out of one of my harlequin rasboras and beat the crap out of 1 of my leopard danios :( In the morning he woukd sit there looking all pretty and innocent! GRRRR he went straight back to where he came from.

So no they don't just attack those they think are a thread.

I have a Giant betta, hes about 3'' long. He flares at cichlids twice his size whenever theyve been together for short periods. :lol:

With my experience with Bettas and other fish, never had any problems so long as everyone has hiding places.

Bettas are far from quick, neither are plecos, the only way a pleco would get attacked is if he didnt have a log to hide under?

I will be very surprise that the betta killed the pleco. I have pleco in the betta tank and they get along well minding their own business.

The pleco could have died of something else and the betta peck on it for food. Pleco can die easily if the water condition is not right.