how to get a fx5 to run on 2 tanks?????

gamefreek101

i would say drilling the tanks and running a pipe between the two if this was going to be long term. or you can get a siphon overflow box and if you but the two tanks up it might be able to go over the sides of both tanks if there isnt any bracing in the way. if that makes sence

+1 for Y connectors. but then remember that the flow maybe uneven as water, like air will travel along the easiest path - so you may need flow regulators on each diverted path. keep tinkering with them until you get the flow you need.

asking for trouble imo. get 2 filters and be done with it.

syphon overflow will work but if it gets blocked (will need some mesh or something over inlet/outlet to stop fish going through) as they do then you will end up with one tank filling = flood

y connections will be trouble as near impossible to get even flow into and out of each tank = one tank filling more than the other = flood.

overflow from both tanks down to a bin which the canister filter draws water from then pumps back upto each tank would work. if going to do that marswell make a sump?

pipe drilled between the tanks...could work but messy, better off with 2 filters or one big tank :D

Yeah y connector would be messy flow rate would be different between each tank and then how to you get the water back into the filter? You would have to overflow it into a sump and have the filter take the water from there, but then canisters are not supposed to like working at a head (ie taking water from the sump and pumping it up into the tanks.

The easiest way I can think of to do it is to push the 2 tanks up together and drill them or modify the end so the water can flow between them then stick the filter inlet and outlet at either end..

I am using siphon based overflows in the fishroom at the moment to enable me to use one heater on several 2ft tanks and increase volume/stability for the tanks. It is not very reliable and takes some setting up to get it all right.. Pllus it would take a huge one to flow the amount of water an FX5 can create.

having treid this before i agree with mincie

doesn't take much to upset the system and cause a wet floor

syphon can be upset by micro bubbles in water and build up in the syphon which can restrict flow

so long as you are aware of this it can work, my 2metre reef is on syphon ststem