Can i cut down my t5 unit to fit a smaller bulb?

Dixon1990

So, my current light is just a double 4foot t5 thingy(2x54W), just like one of the ones that are attached to ceilings, not aquarium ones. But the tank is only 110cm long, and im making the hood so it doesnt stick out :-?

Is there anything wrong with cutting down the unit to hold 2 3foot bulbs(or are there any sizes in between?

Or is the 2x54W ballast going to be unsuitable for smaller Wattage bulbs?

So Can i cut down my t5 unit to fit a smaller bulb?

Some very modern ballasts can sense the tube being used and adjust to suit but I would doubt that that is what you have so the ballast will put out too much and overload your smaller tubes. Sometimes the ballast can be used to supply power to 4 tubes of the same total wattage as before but each tube would need its own starter.

that's a very nice article diver. but that's for t8's.

t5's are different in that they do not have that choke and starters for the tube. mine have a circuit board.dunno if it will work though. I may try what the article says on a t8 sometime.

From what i can tell (and if anyone knows please correct me) is that there isnt any diffrence in the construction in the tube itself so i would think shouldnt matter. The choke and starter is a diffrent type of ballast from yours which im thinking would be an electronic ballast.

• 1 month later...

hey there

you can safely cut it down and use the existing ballast... you can downsise the tube on ballasts

you just cant up size...

as the ballast is just a transformer as such... meaning a larger tube would draw too much current(watts) , a smaller one would just case the ballast to work less... therefore get more thermal effeciency (not get as hot during use)

im currently running a 2x58w ballast to power up my two aqua one fighter tanks... (only using 2 x 18w tubes)

this has been working perfect for almost a year on the same bulbs.. time to change them now tho :)

hope this helps