Visit to NZ

acara

I will be coming home for a couple of weeks in July,and was wondering is there anywhere 'fishy' to visit in the Coromandel,Tauranga area?I was in the garden centre on Chapel St a few years back,but wasnt a keeper then,so dont know how good it was.I recall the Petshop on Wharf St(?)in the '80s,is it still there?Will be spending a few days around Tauranga,a trip to Rotorua,and maybe a couple in Gisborne.

My folks moved to Coromandel to run a motel type business last year,and speaking to Dad on the phone,he is keen to set up a display tank in the reception area.Can anyone suggest somewhere handy to buy something in the 4-6ft range?For ease of use for him,a complete package like a Juwel Rio400 would be ideal. I will only be there for 2wks,so will have to start it,and talk him through the rest of cycling,etc,over the phone and online.Alternatively,and probably easier,I could bring some Organic Aqua,set the tank up one day,stock it the next.He can then just go back to the 'normal' non-organic way as the set-up kit wears off.

Will have 4 days in Kuala Lumpur on way,shame I cant pick up some fish there.

Thanks

Dave

I will def be going there,remember when he started up,a friend of mine was reporting for a small Greerton rag,she took me along as photographer,from what I have seen on here,its come a long way since then.Really looking forward to it!

I was in the garden centre on Chapel St a few years back,but wasnt a keeper then,so dont know how good it was.I recall the Petshop on Wharf St(?)in the '80s,is it still there?

Neither of these are operating any more. We have Animal Antics and Animates as our large franchise ones and the pet shop in Papamoa that is privately owned. There is Waterworld in Rotorua.

Hope you get a chance to go and see Living Art's wonderful slice of Paradise!!

Thanks guys,will look up those shops.

Will put aside a few days for Living Art :lol:

Dead keen to see some natives too,use to see some decent size kokopu when spotlighting,especially on the Coromandel.Dying for Stella to finish the book!

@tinytawnykitten,There are a lot of shops here,the best is Aquatic Village on the Blessington Rd past Tallaght.Theres also Petstop in the Blandchardstown Centre,Kinsealy Pet Shop(Malahide RD),Wackers on the Longmile Rd and Parnell St,Fintastic at Dun Laioghre,for the salties theres also Seahorse Ireland at the Red Cow,Aquarium Solutions in Ashbourne,Fish FX in Dun Laioghre.Theres more,but dont really bother with them.We do occasional buying trips on the ferry to the UK,cheaper and better selection.We also attend the FBAS Festival of Fishkeeping every year at Hayling Island near Portsmouth,I bought some Betta inbellis back last year,a male won me 1st in the betta secttion of our show 3wks ago.(also got 1st and 3rd in Corys,1st in danio,2nd in all other egglaying species,AND won a raffle of a Fluval Roma 125 and stand,about 350euro worth :D )

Dying for Stella to finish the book!

ok, how many people have mentioned that today now?! :oops:

Might get on to it tomorrow. Had to shelve it while studying, but the amount of time I am wasting doing pointless things, I really could be spending finishing the book.

Tis a few hours from where you will be, but if you feel inclined towards Palmy I would be quite happy to show you my fishies.

@tinytawnykitten,There are a lot of shops here,the best is Aquatic Village on the Blessington Rd past Tallaght.Theres also Petstop in the Blandchardstown Centre,Kinsealy Pet Shop(Malahide RD),Wackers on the Longmile Rd and Parnell St,Fintastic at Dun Laioghre,for the salties theres also Seahorse Ireland at the Red Cow,Aquarium Solutions in Ashbourne,Fish FX in Dun Laioghre.Theres more,but dont really bother with them.We do occasional buying trips on the ferry to the UK,cheaper and better selection.We also attend the FBAS Festival of Fishkeeping every year at Hayling Island near Portsmouth,I bought some Betta inbellis back last year,a male won me 1st in the betta secttion of our show 3wks ago.(also got 1st and 3rd in Corys,1st in danio,2nd in all other egglaying species,AND won a raffle of a Fluval Roma 125 and stand,about 350euro worth :D )

Wow, bumed I wasn't as into fish when we lived there as now! I can't believe I didn't know about Wackers or Seahorse Ireland. I worked on the Long Mile Road for a year. I remember the one out towards Blessington now you mention it. Aaaah this makes me miss Dubs. Thinking about Tallaght doesn't :lol: but the rest does.

When and where were you here?Wackers and Seahorse opened about late '06-early '07,but Wackers on Parnel St was pretty good before then.Miss Dubs,how?Would love to get out of this kip.

Would love to get to Palmy,but think with the time we have,will stick to a smaller area.Theres a large stream on folks property,dont know how it will be in July,but hopefully if not too bad,I may go for a look.

When and where were you here?Wackers and Seahorse opened about late '06-early '07,but Wackers on Parnel St was pretty good before then.Miss Dubs,how?Would love to get out of this kip.

Would love to get to Palmy,but think with the time we have,will stick to a smaller area.Theres a large stream on folks property,dont know how it will be in July,but hopefully if not too bad,I may go for a look.

I was there 2001 - 2004. I only miss it cos I am not there. Most of the time when I was living there I was pretty over it.

I don't miss the bureaucracy or the queue to the aliens office at 3am or the number 18 bus or the Red Cow roundabout or the smell of puke outside M&S on Grafton St, or the repulsive sights to behold on Talbot St or people trying to rip you off or the dreadful coffee or the fact that they need blue lights in the St Stephens Green Centre toilets or Ballymun (not that I ever spent time in Ballymun). I do miss the cheap flights to France, the ready made M&S meals, strolling around the gardens at Powerscourt House or pretty much anything in Co. Wicklow, the BT sale, the people (mostly), soda farls, beautiful old buildings and history, day trips to Belfast,.the Angelus (you know, before the news - pretty cute and old fashioned)...the list goes on...

Anyway, I am totally off topic!!!

I was security supervisor in M&S Grafton St for that time period!!And I got the use of the staff sales and staff shop,M&S food at quarter price or less :D:D I've got the belly to prove it,or is that the Guinness?

Now I'm in the same line of work on the other side of the river,boy I could tell you same stories!!!!

Had a look at Living Arts website,really looking forward to that.

Will see if the weathers ok for sea kayaking at Cathedral Cove,glass bottom kayaks in a marine reserve,gotta be done.

Also,weather permitting,hope to dive the Taioma off Motiti Is,weather was too bad when last home in Feb '05.

I was security supervisor in M&S Grafton St for that time period!!And I got the use of the staff sales and staff shop,M&S food at quarter price or less :D:D I've got the belly to prove it,or is that the Guinness?

Now I'm in the same line of work on the other side of the river,boy I could tell you same stories!!!!

Sweeet. Yeah I bet you could tell some stories about the northside. We lived a very sheltered life in Ballsbridge and then Mount Saint Anne's! :lol: