I saved myself $60 woohoo

Dave+Amy

after work today I decided my little one was getting too fluffy for my liking so I decided to give her a haircut myself saving a trip to the Doggy groomers and savings $60 :bounce: :bounce: stoked!

Here's a pic of the Midori next to the hair I cut off her:

365177623.jpg

Now I'm thinking about investing in a pair of Dog hair clippers even though they're around $200 each but that's only 4 haircuts and I break even :D

haha Midori's got a full wardrobe already from when I was younger and brainwashed by the lady who sold Midori to me convincing me that Midori needed clothing for the winter.

I swear if I had saved all the fur I ever got off her I could have knitted myself a sable jersey

after work today I decided my little one was getting too fluffy for my liking so I decided to give her a haircut myself saving a trip to the Doggy groomers and savings $60 :bounce: :bounce: stoked!

Here's a pic of the Midori next to the hair I cut off her:

365177623.jpg

Now I'm thinking about investing in a pair of Dog hair clippers even though they're around $200 each but that's only 4 haircuts and I break even :D

I don't see any reason that dog hair clippers would need to be different than human ones. And people ones are far less. I bought a set of cordless people hair clippers that also comes with another little cordless groomer for about $100.

Also...What a cute little pile of cat fluff, when you get a dog you'll be able to brush more out of it than that :wink: :lol:

it's a DOG! she's got a dam deep bark - not a high pitched squeal lol...one of the parents of my stepdad's art students came to pick up her daughter and told me I had a cute cat :o

I've tried human clippers but it overheated and died on me - think it doesn't cope with thick coats, but I can try cutting with scissors first then do a once over with human clippers to even the coat up, yeah that's way cheaper than dog clippers

I don't see any reason that dog hair clippers would need to be different than human ones. And people ones are far less. I bought a set of cordless people hair clippers that also comes with another little cordless groomer for about $100.

Also...What a cute little pile of cat fluff, when you get a dog you'll be able to brush more out of it than that :wink: :lol:

I see you've never clipped a dog Ira, i clip my schnauser 3-4 times a year. I use golden oyster clippers, one of the best and around $600 a set. The blades last 3-4 clips before needing resharpening and overheat if not allowed to cool during the cut. If you use people clippers, any people clippers, they just stop dead as soon as you put them near his coat, never assume a dogs coat is "just like humans".

maybe you can sell the fur on that place, I see there is a border collie's undercoat for sale for someone to spin. In the US you can actually send your trimmings off to be spun and get them back as a ball of yarn!

maybe you can sell the fur on that place, I see there is a border collie's undercoat for sale for someone to spin. In the US you can actually send your trimmings off to be spun and get them back as a ball of yarn!

REALLY? but I would imagine it would smell a bit? but would definately be warm and waterproof

I guess they must have some way of cleaning it up. Sheeps wool doesn't smell too great straight off the beast either. I have seen at libraries a book about spinning dog wool, it must be reasonably easy. I remember the subtitle being something like "better a sweater from a dog you know and love than a sheep you'll never meet"!

You could just shear it like a sheep. I have used a shearing handpiece on a dog before and they worked fine (it had a deep gash in its chest that I wanted to clean up properly).

I have also used a shearing handpiece on sheep, goats, cattle even an alpaca :lol:

People clippers are a waste of time as others have said. My advice is to buy a brand like oster or whal or another one that has been around for years. They will cost a bit but well worth it. You can buy some strange brands from the other place that you bid on, these do not have the back up service and maybe hard to get replacement parts. Some of the cheeper ones from the pet shops are good but you cannot get the blades sharpened, about every 4 clips you will need to buy a new blade for under $40.00 It still makes well priced hair cuts as the set has a range of combs for different lengths. It depends on if you have $ for a $600. top of the line set or under $150. for a set with a throw away blade but good clippers.

crikey @ price of shearing dog :o

I think you deserve to get a jersey out of that!

Glad I have kitty cats

Embarrassing fact :oops: : one of the cats has fur that felts really easily and for the last few years the bf has been gathering the brushings into a hard ball (the Bert ball). It's grapefruit size now which is pretty impressive for a shorthaired cat.

I think for now a cheaper pair would suit me better seeing that I do sometimes get lazy and just book her in with her groomers, and the groomers adore her! Shearing scissors? - that sounds a bit heavy duty and scarey lol

She's used to standing still - she's been getting groomed from the tender age of 6months..hairy little beast from the beginning.

Yeah it's just IMPOSSIBLE if we don't get her groomed, her hair gets gathered everywhere - like when you sit down on a couch you'll end up with your bum covered with fur!

• 2 weeks later...

I got a set of clippers from Animates for $120. Andis clippers. My Border Collie usually with his white hair most clippers struggle. But these ones do it great. I recommend them for a cheaper alternative than the expensive Wahl.