Crypt ID and Q please?

VinsonMassif

Hard to tell the crypts true ID until the flower opens.

And yes that is a flower. Congratulations.

Thats unusual for it to flower submersed.

Keep taking photos as the flower is usually only at its best for one day, and that day is not to far away. :wink::wink:

Get as many of the flower and we can try see if we can ID it.

Well they dont usually flower underwater, but no it wont shoot to the top. (at least I dont think it will)

The flower is about 24 hours from opening so keep an eye on it.

It usually opens during early morning. Shame its submerged as mine put out an unusual scent.

Keep us posted

Possibly a variety of blassii, I think Bob has a number of varieties of it including a broad leafed one. Flowers that develop submersed usually deteriorate fairly quickly which is a pity because many crypt flowers are spectacular. I had it for a while but it did not do well in my setup. He grows them submersed and emersed and I have seen some of that plant in flower grown emersed and almost a metre high. Can't remember much about the flower other than it was pretty spectacular.

Love the uraguayensis. It is a pity they are so hard to propagate. I had three emersed all summer and none even looked like throwing a runner. I have just moved them inside under artificial light so see how we go this year under artificial light. I have changed the light this year and will report later on success or not.

They seldom throw runners submersed or emersed and the way to propagate them is secret squirel and risky. I have not got any this summer. Paid $50 for my first one and about 2 months later the same person sold some on this site for $18 so I bought a couple more. I have had a few pups but not easily.