Tank Setup Log. Conversion from S.American To African

phoenix44

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how often should I do waterchanges on the tank?

at the moment im doing a third every week without fail - but since its technically a bare bottom tank; should i be doing those changes more often?

What are your nitrates and phosphates doing?

When you know that you are a long way to knowing the answer :D

Today I decided to hatch some Brine Shrimp for my wee little fishies. Don't have ocean water as no one from the oceans are coming to palmy :lol:. so i made some at home. found a thin-ish plastic bottle chopped half of it off and shoved the air stone in it, in the tank.

DSC05111Small.jpg

ANDDDD... guess who I found lurking about :D

DSC05113Small.jpg

Look at my baby shrimp!

DSC05114Small.jpg

There are so many of them. Im thinking ill have to sieve them and freeze them or something, cause the fish are too big to eat the brineshrimp - only a couple managed to see them and eat some :cry:

any other way i can make them eat it?

Thanks for the help in advance! :hail:

i got them to eat it eventually :bounce: . i had to turn off my filters cause all the shrimp were being flung around the place.

only thought id feed it to them to try it out, got given some eggs. how often do you think is ok? Once a month maybe?

the fish love courgettes and cucumber! its incredible how they devour that stuff!

DSC05118zSmall.jpg

And a video of how I managed to feed them the BS.

Looks like a good hatch rate :) The tank looks good in the video too..

As for how much is too often you will never know until you give them bloat unfortunately :( I fed some cheap flake food once and gave 2 fish bloat that was enough for me but have been getting away with feeding a large variety with no problems. It is hard because food is only one of the contributing factors towards bloat there are many other variables just thought it might be something to bear in mind although I have hardly ever had a problem with it.

Looks like a good hatch rate :) The tank looks good in the video too..

As for how much is too often you will never know until you give them bloat unfortunately :( I fed some cheap flake food once and gave 2 fish bloat that was enough for me but have been getting away with feeding a large variety with no problems. It is hard because food is only one of the contributing factors towards bloat there are many other variables just thought it might be something to bear in mind although I have hardly ever had a problem with it.

Thanks man... Africans have such interesting traits. they go dark, and chase each other in circles; the dems are forever schooling together. they eat like little piggies.

I'm thinking of feeding them lettuce soon. At the moment they pretty much eat courgettes, cucumber, carrots and spirulina flakes. At night they get some hikari as I need them to get used to a varied diet.

The e. yellows grow so much faster than the dems!