New to Frogs :)

Ok, so not brand new. Years ago I had 2 Golden bell frogs. I might have been 12. This time I want to do it right.

The only problem has been convincing my parents that i can have frogs. They want me to come up with a plan to 'sell' it to them. But i'm pretty sure they'll say yes now :bounce:

I've got 2 options:

The first is to get 2 golden bell frogs and a 60(long)*45*45cm exo terra terrarium.

Or about 6 brown tree frogs and a 45*45*60 (high) cm exo terra terrarium.

How easy would it be for me to source these frogs?

And what plants would suit each type of frog?

I'm going out to buy a book tommorrow and i've been doing some research, but lots more to do!

But i've been getting conflicting info about how large the golden bell frogs grow. One website said that males grow around 6cm and females grow around 9cm then another said they grow to 5cm :-?

Any advice??

The main difference would be the temperature. The green and golds don't occur naturally where you are si I assume you would need to heat them in winter. I have albinos and they are at 26 deg. The whistlers don't like the heat so would be better unheated. Have you got lots of live food?

No, I haven't got lots of live food yet.

I have to look into everything about how i would keep them first, then i can start getting things set up.

How would i heat the enclosure?

Do you think that a 60x45x45cm would suit 2 golden bell frogs?

Thanks

By golden bell frogs I take it you mean the green and gold bell frogs rather than the larger southern bell frogs, because the latter will not need heating. I have mine in a terrarium divided into half land and half water and heat the water with a heater/thermostat.

I've just been out looking at whats avalible at the pet shops.

Animates had some frogs that they called Green Frogs. There was no other info. Some were almost completly gold and others were really green. And some were a mixture of the two colours. They had a couple of bumps on their bodies. Would these be the southern bell frogs? What size enclosure would i need for 2 adults?

it will be much cheaper if you raise them from tadpoles yourself. You need to get a couple of spares because there are always a few that just don't make it but still tadpoles usually go for a couple of dollars each so you do the maths. A few places in the hutt valley seem to have taddies at the moment, I think they are all greens or green and golds.

The big problem with frogs is getting enough live food for them. Make sure you can handle culturing flies or mealworms or something. If you keep whistlers like I do then wingless fruitflies are excellent and you probably need one culture per adult frog because they eat a lot for little frogs! Once you have the cultures you can make more cultures and keep them going with pieces of banana. I don't know how much the bigger frogs eat but they can tackle a wider range of foods which probably helps, I suppose you can hunt slaters and things in the back yard. The frog mantra seems to be if it fits in the mouth and moves it is food. They aren't keen on ants though.

Yeah, i've been thinking about the food thing.

The petshops sell houseflies which look like good sizes. Its a funny thing to complain about but i've got no flies around my place at all :o Could i culture the houseflies (like would they breed for me?)

And i'm thinking that meal worms would be good. And i can catch them slaters.

I also saw some freeze dried meal worms and freeze dried river shrimp. The packet said that amphibians eat them. I was thinking that they could be a good back up if something went wrong with the live cultures.

I'm also considering cockroaches. Not sure whether mum would like it if they excaped tho :lol:

The frogs i saw at animates are $13 which seems good to me.

Hi I have a golden bell frog and I feed him/her earthworms, golden & southern bells eat pretty much anything that moves and can fit in there mouths.

(I had some brown tree frogs and ended up selling them because they were so hard to feed)

:bounce: