What is the best way to sterilize equipment?

Kazz

I know you should have equipment for each tank, but I want to clean some items I have used in a hospital tank. I have some large nets and hoses, etc that I want to sterilize.

What do people use to sterilize their nets and other equipment and how do you do it?

Hey its all good,i still have 6 beautiful fighters from you.hmmm plecos could be a go got no room though,addicted to discus lol plus guppies and puffers haha stop by if your over we're at the 1st house on island now(more tank room lol)

I bought a small bottle of master pet Steri-Lizer for about $6. I just fill a bucket with water and the master pet Steri-Lizer, keep it in my aquarium cabinet and change it about once a week. The only con is you have to leave the items in the solution for 12 hours.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I use different methods to sterilise different items depending on what kind of abuse the items can stand up to!

• My first choice for things that can handle it (for example gravel) is to boil it. I even boil spawning mops because I know boiling will not leave any kind of residue.
  • My second choice (for tubing etc) is to bleach it. Use a plain chlorine bleach or peroxide bleach with no added fragrance etc. Dilute the bleach according to the instructions on the bottle and leave the item soaking for as long as possible. Then rinse very thoroughly and ideally leave it in direct sun for a while before using again or putting it away.
  • For general cleanliness (for items not damaged by UV) I like to just rinse, dry, and leave it out in the sun. For example I do this regularly with all the towels/cloths that I use on the tank.
  • Sometimes I use a strong salt solution. For example when I was sterilising my filters I ran them overnight using a bucket of very salty water. I didn't want to use bleach, but I wanted to be sure I had cleaned every part of the filter.
  • I have heard potassium permanganate is very good but I do not use it myself as I'm scared of staining everything!

I hope that helps.