Help. My cobalt not swimming right

Lush

:( omg one of my cobalts is rolling over and over as he swims. He's not swimming as he should. I've never come across this before. He is just continiously rolling over and over and over as he swims, please does anyone know what might be wrong with him?? All the other fish in the tank are fine.

Sorry can't help since I don't have cichlids. Hope you find out what is going on and he/she gets better?

phoenix asked a few questions which might help others determine what maybe happening. So, maybe you can give as much info as possible, including tank size, what is in the tank, how long it's been set up, notice if any other fish has been giving this one a hard time...things like that might help others in figuring out what might be going on.

Caper

I haven't encountered this much in my africans, maybe as Phoenix said some sort of swim bladder problem? Could be related to diet or could just be random, I haven't ever had a fish that does those twirly things come right..

If I was going to do anything I would stick him in something shallow (might help to sort the swim bladder out less pressure on it) and maybe some epsoms salt and peas if he is eating, in case something has blocked him up and it is causing problems..

Good luck it is a difficult one maybe you will have more help with google?

I have seen fish that have recieved a head knock do that. Joys of working in a lfs when you have jumpers & place them back in the tank.

I have seen a couple of fish over the years do this outside of the jumpers. What caused it don't know, but it was just b4 they died.

All you can do is if it is only one fish, its just one of those things. He may of got startled, ie; lights coming on, someone running past tank, or just to be safe, check tank for any over agressive fish.

Frenchy :D

Tank water etc is all fine, its a 4 ft tank, i do 2 water changes a week, so that is not the prob. He isn't getting harrassed by other fish in the tank as he is the peace keeper, anyone starts anything he goes and seperates them. Tank has been setup for well over a year and i've had him the longest. I noticed today he is fine, swimming as normal, like nothing has happened. Maybe he bumped his head as someone said. I guess now i'll never know. Google wasn't much help. Thanks everyone. I'll just have to keep an eye on him.

I haven't seen africans do that but I have seen plenty of tiger barbs twirling around the tank. I don't keep tiger barbs anymore, its not pretty to watch esp when another fish decides to have a nibble at it and it spins out of control around the tank. Every fish I have seen like that soon dies.