Any Herp / Reptile Vets in Wellington ???

Freakz Nz

Great to hear things are on the upside!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: Well done and to munch as well. Doza is shedding again! So my great success with vegies seems to have gone on a slow down... Doesn't want to eat much at mo.

Yeah, we are half way through the "try it for a month and see" phase., that I talked about with the vet

Since the seperation he has put on some weight, isn't head bobbing at all and doesnt blacken his beard half as much as he used to. So I think he is way less stressed than he was.

His breathing is appearing to get better as well, the squeak on the exhale is definitley quieter and doesn't seem as laboured.

It is funny how he loves his greens but won't touch a cricket ... gggrrrr

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just got back from the vets. Munch hasn't been eating over the last 3 days , so I have been force feeding him again, even off his favorites. He hasn't put on any weight to speak of, he currently weighs 108 grams while the other is now over 200grams.

Tonight while we were having dinner i noticed Munch mega stressed out , he had come out of his cave and was fully yellow with a mega black beard and tail, he was aslo producing a froth / slime from his mouth.

The froth/slime was like a watery snail slime, clear in colour and didn't smell. I wiped it away and gave him water via a syringe. He was quite cold and stiff and his eyes weren't right (colour and size), rang the vet and went down. Typical - when I got there he was relaxed and looked perky. We are still not going to use antibiotics and still concentrating on food and habitat. Weird because Delilah is doing awesomely in the same environment.

Munch is asleep at the moment and the temp is 25 deg cel, he looks okay.

Anyone else had a dragon that has ever frothed ?

Hi, no sorry haven't had that with Doza. Hope everything is ok! Doza hasn't been eating much over last couple of days. Sleeping a bit as well. I have but it down to a) been a lazy fat dragon. Last weigh in was 210grams. And possibly time of year. My fingers and toes are crossed and thinking off you. Let us know how you get on.

Calypso has never frothed either. Touch wood it doesn't happen. But unfortunately he is having other problems. He saw the vet just over a month ago and he couldn't find anything obviously wrong, but things haven't improved so he said to bring him back in to see if any further symptoms have become obvious.

I love the pinky colour on Munch. Did the vet have any suggestions about what the frothing was caused by.

Wouldn't it be great if all the beardies got to meet up sometime. Let's hope all the unwell beardies pick up soon.

Hi,

Munch this morning was out on his basking rock and looked fine, I think it may of been an obstruction of the air way or throat. Another symptom was his tongue was a white / grey colour not his nomal faint pink, which I would also put down to oxygen levels or stress.

Because of the weight issue with Munch, I monitor excatly what goes into the enclosure and what comes out of him. So I don't think that there was anything "dodgy" in there that he could of eaten to cause a reaction. His world is pretty sparse at the moment in that he only has 2 basking rocks, a cave, a food bowl and a log to climb and I use artifical grass for the base

I have put carrot & lettuce (dusted) into his bowl - he is going to be basically a veggie with some pellets (softened) and watch his liquid intake.

Talk about panic, it was the first time I have ever seen this in any lizard that we have had. My first thought was he had eaten something poisonious but ruled that out as Delilah gets the exact same diet and wasn't having any issues, and I know where the food has been before giving it to them (includes the washing of veggies and clover etc). The next was something stuck in his mouth, I opened it and couldn't see anything obvious. I then ran some warm water and wiped the slime / froth out of his mouth and face (this is when I smelt it and it was odourless), the next thing was to pump some water into him for two reasons the first being to clear his throat if something was in there further down and the second was to dilute the possibility of any substance causing the reaction.

Anyway, He is looking his normal self this morning and I will monitor his activities and food intake.

Cheers

Hi Livingart ,

I thought about that when I did the initial construction of the enclosure. When cutting the fake grass I found that it frayed and bits came off. So I meticuously went around the entire dege making sure no more could fall out or be pulled out by a dragon thinking that it was something that it could eat (Plastics ingested in animals equals a bad thing) I used a lighter to "seal" the edges.

Munch has eaten lettuce , carrot and tomato today so I'm happy that he must of got over it and hopefully wont see a repeat - fingers crossed.

Just wish that the little bugg'er would put more weight on

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Thank you for your words and thoughts ... Munch is now buried in our garden with Tegal our canary who died several years ago and honey bunny. We are really missing him, we didn't realise how much we enjoyed him while he was with us.

The saying is " Hopeless is the owner of a sick goldfish" however I think this can be extended to reptiles too.

Delilah hasn't noted any change and is currently basking on his / her log.

Anyway, I think I will open a bottle tonight for Munch and look at the photos we took of him over the year.

Cheers Freakz & fam