Betta Barracks?

SamH

Has anyone ever used a bath tub for keeping fish in? Just in the short term?

I'd imagine you could put in a couple of heaters and it would be all good.

Where can you buy jars in bulk?

Are the quite cheap?

Also, I am looking at getting a (breeding) pair. If anyone in Auckland has a pair, doesn't matter if they've bred before or not, that they'd be willing to sell, please post or PM me. I don't really mind what fin type but I do like Half Moons and Plakats. I'm looking for some nice, easy Bettas to breed and would love to see some pics

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone ever used a bath tub for keeping fish in? Just in the short term?

I'd imagine you could put in a couple of heaters and it would be all good.

Where can you buy jars in bulk?

Are the quite cheap?

if you wanted second-hand preserving jars then your local salvation army would be the go, probably about 50c each. To get new ones you would contact Arthur Holmes, they are very helpful.

Also, I am looking at getting a (breeding) pair. If anyone in Auckland has a pair, doesn't matter if they've bred before or not, that they'd be willing to sell, please post or PM me. I don't really mind what fin type but I do like Half Moons and Plakats. I'm looking for some nice, easy Bettas to breed and would love to see some pics

well having 50 odd heaters in 50 tanks will defenatly heat the whole room! ive got 6 tanks with heaters in one of my rooms and the air in there is allways alot warmer than the rest of the house (great place in the morning). if the rooms insulated enough the aquarium heaters will all heat the room and other tanks and containers in the room, take amazonians fish room for example!

Seperate building heavily insulated. Conctrete floor with polystyrene and steel, batts and sisalation walls and ceiling and lined with flat colour steel with joints sealed with RTV and painted with antimould paint. You should have seen the young fellas with weird smoking habits eying it up during open homes. If you put the work into the building you save heaps on heating in the long run. Sold the house and fish house with it. Stands now full of exotic timber and a few tanks behind he shed.

It certainly sounds like it would work if done properly. My question would be that if the father is the alpha male and there is little agression how will the males develop good fins. I have always worked on the theory that the males being able to see each other and flare encourages good fin development.

What would be the minimum tank size to keep the father and all his fry in until they're able to be sexed?

And would they have to spawn in that tank or could they be moved later on?

What would be the minimum tank size to keep the father and all his fry in until they're able to be sexed?

And would they have to spawn in that tank or could they be moved later on?

bigger the better, plus heaps of plants.