jebo 45 litre suitable for salt water fish only ?

livingart

don't know where to post this so put it here, your thoughts please

got a call yesterday to help a lady with her fish tank

she had bought tank on friday from a LFS and by tuesday the fish weren't looking well (laying on the bottom)

she had rung shop and no reply 3 hours later so was put onto me

got around there and found a little blue jebo tank approx 35 litres cloudy water and 2 fish not very active, filter pump to overhead media tray had stopped working

i did a straight 50% water change and fish started to get off the bottom and swim again

tank was bravd new, brand new filter media and no start up bacteria was used in setup

when lady from the lfs came to setup tank on the friday she brought fish in a bag and mixed up saltmix on the spot , filled tank and put fish straight in

supplied with tank was:

pH test kit and pH up

marine flake

small packet of salt mix

heater

small air pump

large quartz pebbles

nemo ornament and 2 fake corals

1 x small Ocellaris and 1 x small yellow tail damsel

a small handful of ceramic noodles and a small packet of filter wool

people were advised that they would need to change water in 1 month

i have recommended they take all back to the shop and ask for a refund

as i feel they haven't been setup properly or given enough info on what they as novices are trying to keep

your opinions or thoughts on the suitability of this tank for marine use please

It is certainly possible to keep salt water fish in a small tank, hell people set up nano reefs that make that tank look huge. But, IMO, it is certainly not something that should be undertaken by novices, and the advice from the LFS was very bad, staff are either so incompetent they shouldn't be selling fish or they saw dollar signs and cashed in.

Maybe ring fair go?

don't have a definitive answer to that hans

maybe part of the answer is that human beings are involved :roll:

also maybe people on here care more than others

yes david this is not something i would give to a novice to look after

since this first occured things have progressed to whole setup being returned to the shop after a promise to refund money

when the purchaser got to the shop they were tokd there would be no refund, so they left it there and looks like it will go to small claims court :evil:

P.S.- the local animates and animal antics are not involved

oh my god!

it takes a lONG time to set up a marine right. I think my old one took 3 months before I even thought of adding fish in it!

salt water fish are not for someone who wants to keep fish cause they look cool. its far too technical. I shudder to think that any one would willingly sell salt water fish to someone who just bought a tank!

oh my god!

it takes a lONG time to set up a marine right. I think my old one took 3 months before I even thought of adding fish in it!

salt water fish are not for someone who wants to keep fish cause they look cool. its far too technical. I shudder to think that any one would willingly sell salt water fish to someone who just bought a tank!

I know what you mean...I've been researching for 2 years and now I'm just thinking about filling my tank with salt water this weekend. Then it'll be a couple of months before I move the fish over, and months later before I add any corals or anything.

I just can't believe that people go out there and by a living animal without doing any research.

re: sustainability of this tank for currrent inhabitants -

while these tankscan be used for marine aquaria - they certainly cannot sustain corals and yellow tail damsels. the lighting is well... pathetic, lol.. compared to what is actually needed. i would not be a happy clown fish if i were having to make do with a fake coral or a yellow tail damsel, as a tank mate who wants nothing more than to jump out the tank cause all it does is swim in circles.

i would love a saltwater tank, but even i realise how much work goes into it. i put alot of work into my freshy so i can imagine all the time spent. one say i will have one and will have it set up for 3 months before i add fish number one! i cant believe they sold them a tank and fish at same time. my fish shop wouldnt even do that with freshies i bought my tank and was told to come back in a couple of weeks to get a couple of SMALL fish.

That is amazingly negligent of the shop. I can't imagine that it's a good way to get clients. But I guess they maybe need to keep coming back for new fish (!?). :-?

Fish are included under the Animal Welfare Act, and ill-treatment of an animal is to cause it pain or distress that is unreasonable or unnecessary by your actions or lack of action.

The Act requires people in charge of animals to take all reasonable steps to ensure that the physical, health, and behavioural needs of the animals are met in a manner that is in accordance with good practice and scientific knowledge.

The welfare of fish is not high profile like it is for other animals. But in my opinion the lfs was not meeting their obligations. Might be worth mentioning to them.

The one down the road from you Dunc :x

Glad she got hold of you Living Art, she had rung me several times to discuss her tank but she really needed someone to actually physically see it and sort it for her which i couldnt do.

Its unfortunate that people get sucked into this sort of thing by the people that should be telling them the right stuff (a store that sells pets after all..), and other shops/ hobbiests are left to help sort out the problem.

yes a bummer all round sharn

this came from a local person to shed more light on the fish in question

yeh i went in there one day and a guy was setting up a 4ft tank with the fish and little red tree looking jelly things(sorry dont no what there called)

any way i asked about skimmers and they said whats that,

and after time i noticed the red things going dull and droopy then the tank was gone but they put the fish in a tiny tank on the counter with an air stone

i didnt think it was that easy to have salt water fish

• 2 weeks later...

Latest update:- the lady who purchased the tank recieved a cheque today for a full refund, she is waiting until it clears before ringing and thanking the shop in question

many thanks to the shop for finally reolving this situation

and also to the people who have maybe worked behind the scenes to help

thank you aquafever for your offer

so to the power of the forum and all who helped :hail: