NZ Guppy Society

Lucid

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This all sounds very cool.

Would "Livebearers NZ" be more inclusive than Poecilia? (but whats in a name :-) )

I'd be happy to pay a $5-10 membership.

Personally I have a specific interest in livebearers. Not just as a starting point, I think they are great because I will be able to focus more on the development of a strain rather than struggle with the actual breeding.

I think an online base for a club like this is excellent, afterall isn't everyone spread round the country? Meetings would be a bit of a drag.

This part of the forum would be the perfect place for the club since its already getting regular users.

I would also consider donating webspace if the clubs site doest become toooo big.

How about this.

- I set up a site (subdomain of fnzas.org.nz) with a registration form.

This would be a 'initial registration of interest'.

- in a couple weeks time (I need to go skiing first) we set up the committee to make a few decisions (join fnzas, fees etc) and assign a few tasks.

- Once the club is real the 'initial registration of interest' will be converted to full membership with all its benefits (whatever they will be).

and then .. I need to get me a few new guppies .. and show you how it's done :D

Cees

update:

I almost have a 'crude' site ready where you will be able to register interest in joining a Livebearer club of New Zealand. I little more work tonight and it will go live.

Think about how/where you will be able to contribute.

My guess, we need at least a president and treasurer. What's the (legal) difference between a club,society,association. What are we going to be? Does it matter?

Does a club/society need a constitution/set of rules written down? How does that work? Other (fish)clubs in NZ, if you have info to share please email me.

What's the best way to start this so that we do it once and do it right.

Cees

Firstly, I'm still interested and following this thread :-)

If you want to do it right from the begining you definitely need a constitution. Check out what other clubs have, and also guidelines for an "incoporated society" can be helpful, though I dont recommend adding the "inc" its a lot of work!!

At a bare minimum you need a president, treasurer, secretary. (Though one person could be sec/tresurer) probably a good idea to have a couple other comittee members too.

Does the FNZAS have special requirements for member societies?

All the FNZAS requires of a group is that it "has as its objects the assistance of those interested in aquarium or pond keeping or kindred interests".

I think you need a president and sec/treasurer at least as you need to be contactable as a club. To affiliate to the FNZAS you apply in writing to the FNZAS secretary. She then informs all other clubs of your wish to join the FNZAS. If there are no objections within 2 months your club is afforded full membership - on payment of capitation fees and Year Book levy. The capitation fee is $5 per person. If you already belong to another affiliated society you do not have to pay this sub twice. The YB levy is $25 per club per year. It helps go towards paying printing costs. If you can get a business to buy an advertising strip for $25 this can pay your levy for you at no cost to your members.

The YB lists all affiliated clubs and members with details of names, addresses, meeting times and places etc. It also details our trophies and competitions, club duties to the FNZAS, FNZAS duties to clubs, a list of retailers offering FNZAS member discount and all sorts of bits and pieces of helpful information. It also has our Constitution printed in it.

Cees, the Dept of Internal Affairs has excellent resources on not for profit organisations - what the difference is and what type you should pick. Its talking about incorporated societies vs trusts so I'm not sure if its what you need.

It also has info on treasurers, chairs etc and what their roles should be.

I think the address is dia.govt.nz but a search for dept internal affairs should find it .............. if you are interetsted of course.

Cheers

Judy

• 4 weeks later...