Does anybody else get Bored with their fish?

Spink

I'm just wondering if there are other people out there like me who just get bored of some of the fish they have from time to time?

I'm not talking a complete tank strip and change, like from guppies to cichlids, but sometimes you just go 'I don't like that barb anymore' or 'I've had enough of these guppies'.

I've had a lot of fish since I got back in to fish keeping, and I'm not one to casually flick them off because I don't like them anymore, or if I've bred them and now want to go with something else, but at the moment i just feel bored.

Does anyone else get like this?

I usually get inspired after club meetings, but then I try and do something or breed a fish and get nowhere, and it kinda bums me out.

Anyone got any tips on getting out of the rutt?

ha ha - I own 16 tanks now and have most of them up and running, and I just set up another pond outside as well! :roll:

I made a decision on my main community tank - I've decided I want Panda Tetras, Hengel's Rasboras and veiltailed Red Serpae Tetras as well as a big school of the Pygmy cory's I've just bred, but I have to wait for some of them to come up on the list before I can order them in and buy them.

Part of my problem is I have too many different types of fish, and I think that's why I get bored with some of them, because some of them I don't even see in my tanks anymore!

I've tried to make decisions on what I want to keep and breed, but then nothing happens and I run out of room, and then i get all confused and muddled again! Then i decide to get rid of something, have a conversation with someone about them and get all inspired to try and breed them again!

Sometimes I just can't win!

I get bored of some fish too (not clown loaches or plecos though) so when i have fish that i get bored of I either trade them for others, or give them away and get more.

its depressing to look at a tank and think.. .gee those fish are boring... so i usually fill up my tank with plants and then it looks nicer and more natural, so if ever i do get rid of some fish - the few that remain in there still look nice when the occasionally come out and play.

Though I'd love to do marines, it will have to wait for a few weeks until I claim my $7.5 million lotto prize!

I'm definitely moving on my guppies, possibly my reject platties and the left over mollies in the community tank.

Then I still have the honey gourami to sort, the barbs and the albino cories I wanted to breed.

I told my husband that it would be easier for him to shift his two kids in to the same room so I had my own office to put all my fish tanks in - that way I could see them all the time, keep myself busy and not have to worry about going down to the garage in the deep cold of Winter.........he didn't really like that idea.....

My 2 new Ornate Birchirs and my new Fire eel ate out my hand for the first time tonight. Its a great buzz. My new 7.5 footer is supposed to arrive on wednesday. I cant wait to get it set up and put them in it along with my BGK, Oscar and large plec. Busy breeding the feeder fish aswell.

Sorry guys but i have an inexplicable fear of big fish - it's small fish all the way for me!!!!

A friend has a red devil cichlid and my husband likes the fact it has some personality and spunk, so he wants something along those lines. So a 3 foot small cichlid tank is on the cards, but that's meant to be his thing not mine.

I guess I'll just have to bide my time until the right inspiration comes along to keep me occupied. I usually write articles for Caryl when I get bored or research fish for my little fish geek library, but it doesn't fix the fish problem.

My latest project is my photographic tank - I have the tank, just need to get the perspex backgrounds, travel case, and oh, A CAMERA!!!!

To stop me from getting board I like to have 4 or 5 projects on the go at the same time that way there is always something happening , at the momment i'm really into my rainbow fish , my killifish, my albino guppies and holding my breath with my chocolate Zebra plec's ...... always ways something doing something exciting. :bounce: :bounce:

I used to re-landscape my tank once a month or so, but I have finally got it to a stage that I really like, and the plants are doing well and it looks good, so luckily I don't have that problem anymore!

I wish I had an endless supply of tanks to be able to have 4-5 projects on the go at once!

I have the opposite problem - lots of things i want to breed but not enough room to do it!

And with work and kids it can be a bit much trying to get everything done.

I really don't know how Paul can do it - all those tanks, all those water changes, all the meetings you go to AND all the stuff you have to do for the FNZAS.....and you have a job too!

Once the Lotto winnings kick in then I'll be able to have a dedicated fish room and all the time in the world to breed and raise fish......not long now........

Yes I get bored, hence why I went down to 1 tank, now im finding that i cant fix the addiction niggles, always looking for more fish, plants whatever i can get my hands on for the 1 tank. Financially cant cope with the addiction either. :oops: :oops:

There may be a small African tank on the way, but not before some of the others are gone.

I completely agree with Sandysme - the power company loves us, but my pay packet doesn't quite cover the cost of running any more thanks than I have, especially not with Winter on the way!

I never get bored with my fish... and I only have one tank set up, and I've had pretty much the same combination of fish for the past eight or nine years! :o

Here's a theory: When you folks get bored, you go out and get another tank/more fish/different plants. For me (as a renter on a fairly low income) I simply don't have that option. So I spend a lot of my time researching, reading, planning and dreaming. I always have four or five dreams on the go at one time! :lol:

As a result I always feel excited when I look at my tank. I can sit there for hours staring at it, and dreaming what I would do if I had an 8-foot tank (which would also involve owning my own home so I would know I could always fit the tank and not have to keep moving it!) I dream about plants, substrates, filters, lights, tank stands, maintenance programmes... and I never get bored!

:bounce:

So the key is wish-fulfillment. Or more specifically, never having your wishes fulfilled. If you never get what you thought you wanted, then you can never get bored! :D

I get bored with some of my fish but that's why I like to have a few different types of fish to breed, at the moment I trying to or am breeding Platys, BNs, Dwarf Cockatoos, Panda Corys, Blue Rams plus I'm trying to breed Chocolate Australe but need another male or 2 as mine died while I was on holiday. But redoing my community tank would keep me amused for a while :roll: :lol: . If you have livebearers you can never get bored.

Also I'm the same as Whetu, I can sit and look at my tank for hours and dream about what it would be like to own an 8 foot or (or maybe I just need more tank)